« Why do I get spam not addressed to me?     |   Back to MAIN   |     Why does Web Mail have advertisements? »

FIXED - slowness sending and reporting spam - 11/29/06

Subject:       FIXED - slowness sending and reporting spam
Date: November 29, 2006 12:51 PM

For a few weeks now some users have been reporting very slow response when clicking on "This Is Spam", or on "This Is Not Spam", and also sometimes when just sending an email. I'm happy to report that this was fixed this morning. One of the servers that sends out messages from Web Mail was not working right and was responding very slowly, taking up to a minute to respond sometimes. Those features should be very speedy now. If anyone sees this issue again please do report it.

Posted by: James   |   January 4, 2007 2:23 PM    |   (1)

The slowness when using the "this is spam" link does seem to be happening again. At times it seems to take 30 seconds or so to respond.

Posted by: Email Guy   |   January 4, 2007 9:59 PM    |   (2)

Thanks for the report. It has cropped up again for some short intervals, and we know why, and are fixing it permanently very shortly.

Posted by: Byron   |   February 11, 2007 6:17 PM    |   (3)

While "this is spam" still often takes more than 30 seconds to get a response, if I check "add sender to blocked domain list" more often than not it takes between 1:45 and 2:00 to get a response. Is this related to your servers or to my particular setup? I'm using a DSL connection through my local phone company and maintain a dialup account at earthlink just so I can keep my telepath.com email address. It happens on both an older desktop (W98 on a 433mhz Celeron processor w/192mb RAM) and my laptop (W2K on a 933mhz P3 w/512mb RAM). I use Opera 9.10 as my primary browser on both systems but the time is also very slow if I use Firefox on either system.

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 12, 2007 9:59 PM    |   (4)

Byron - the first problem you mention is still happening intermittently but not frequently, and we think we have a permanent fix very shortly. The second item you mention should not be happening, and I haven't seen other reports of this. I've just done a few tests of that feature and it is snappy. Unfortunately I don't have an explanation for you but I will look into it. Use of that feature isn't really any different than a lot of other features you could use in Web Mail. That list is just another saved preference. What happens if you go to the Preferences / Web Mail Options page and just click Save?

Posted by: Byron   |   February 14, 2007 11:58 AM    |   (5)

"What happens if you go to the Preferences / Web Mail Options page and just click Save?"

Nothing happens, at least there is no change that I notice. The last two messages I added to my blocked sender list took over a minute to get a response from Earthlink's servers. I added an address to my blocked senders list Monday morning (Feb 12th) before I read your reply. That request took a little over a minute (1:05 - 1:10) to get a response from the server. After reading your reply, I then visited my preferences and clicked save at the bottom of the page. My first instance of trying to add an address to my blocked senders list since clicking save was a few minutes ago. This time it took 1:34 to get a response from Earthlink's servers.

This is an average response time for me. Reading some of the other threads here at your blog I thought it might be an Opera issue much as the page loading order is an Opera issue. I have also used Firefox to check my webmail and it is not appreciably faster with response times usually over a minute. I have grown used to the long response time as I cannot recall a time when they were any faster. On the few occassions I've used a public terminal to check Webmail, I haven't noticed any difference in speed but also don't recall any specific instances of adding an address to my blocked senders list from a public terminal. If you need any more specifics, perhaps that should be done privately rather than in the blog.

Posted by: Byron   |   February 23, 2007 9:47 AM    |   (6)

Only took 1:18 today to get a response.

Since I'm the only one who has this problem, or at least the only one who has reported it, I'll just live with it since it's what I'm used to and there are other folks who have more serious problems with WebMail who need your help.

Posted by: Byron   |   April 7, 2010 9:46 AM    |   (7)

This problem is starting to reoccur. Reporting spam has gotten a gradually slower response - from an average of 10-12 seconds to now over 30 seconds. Concurrently with the spam reporting taking longer, adding a sender to my block list is also taking longer - now averaging almost a minute. This mornings spam (all from the same domain) took 58 seconds to get a response after adding to my block list.

It might be time to reboot that problem server - if you can figure out which one it is

This should be fixed now. Let me know if you experience it again.

Posted by: Byron   |   July 30, 2011 4:01 PM    |   (8)

Starting to experience slow response from your server again when reporting spam. So far it only affects the accounts that are on webmail.c.earthlink.net where response time has increased to over 30 seconds again. My accounts on webmail.earthlink.net do not show signs of slowing significantly - from roughly 3-4 seconds to approx double that. Webmail.c.earthlink.net has always been slower for me but it has only been the past 2-3 weeks that it has slowed noticably.