« Ground Rules     |   Back to MAIN   |     Ask Email Guy »

Tell Us About It - 11/01/06

Subject:       Tell Us About It
Date: November 1, 2006 7:14 AM

Use this open forum to suggest a new topic, a new feature, or comment about something you can't find anywhere else on this site. If your comment leads to an interesting discussion I'll start a new topic entry and copy your comments there if appropriate. This is an open thread, but with some reasonable limits. Please read the Ground Rules.

If you want to ask a question for the host, a better place is the Ask Email Guy section.

Try using the search feature to see if your topic has already been opened. If you find it then that would be the best place for your comments. If you don't find it, please put them here.

Click here to Post or click the Comment link.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 601-619 of 619

Posted by: bzbit   |   August 22, 2011 7:37 PM    |   (601)

I pay for my earthlink mailbox. I could have used many free services (MSN, GMail, HotMail, Yahoo, etc) but I chose to pay for it from earthlink. Why then do I get banner ads when I view my E-Mail using webmail? Not only does it slow down my connection but it's using bandwidth that I also pay for. I'd expect this from a free account but not from a pay account. GET RID OF THEM!

Posted by: Judy   |   September 4, 2011 8:50 PM    |   (602)

Weird behavior in the last week. I check two different Earthlink accounts via Webmail, same browser (Safari), same window. (I check one account, log out, and then immediately check the other account in the same window.) One account shows the current UI, the other the old UI from a few years back (different order of folders, Sign Out on bottom of left column only, the commands on top right missing). The email address I have given here is the one with the old UI.

Posted by: Don Prichard   |   September 23, 2011 9:39 PM    |   (603)

Why does earthlink show full I use peoplepc.com?

Posted by: Steve   |   October 9, 2011 3:00 PM    |   (604)

Just the other day, I have a friend who had been trying to write, but his emails are bouncing. His email is coming from bellsouth. I checked my 'blocked' listing and it is not listed (besides, the 'block' function does not work). I checked it by adding my own mail server to the block list and still receive them. I tried to block someone in the past, and it never worked. So why are my emails from Bellsouth bouncing?

Posted by: Andrew P.   |   November 8, 2011 2:24 PM    |   (605)

EarthLink Web Mail has been extremely slow on certain browsers since the beginning of September 2011. I think the problem started just after the Labor Day weekend. When I click on a folder or a message link, it can take upwards of a minute for the screen to finish loading, even on a 1.5 Mbps EarthLink DSL connection.

I've confirmed that the difference is the browser, since the pages load at full speed when using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP, taking less than 10 seconds to render a page, but show very slow performance with a variety of non-Microsoft browsers, including Firefox, SeaMonkey and Opera. I've reported the problem more than once to EarthLink Customer Support, but we're now into the third month of poor performance and it hasn't gotten better. What's going on here? Is it a coding bug in a recent upgrade of the EarthLink Web Mail software, or is it someone's expression of a bias against non-Microsoft browsers? It's so frustrating that for most of October I had all my mail redirected to a Yahoo! Mail account.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   November 9, 2011 5:27 PM    |   (606)

"This Is Not Spam" Function Is Fighting Back

I often find as many as 50 non-spam messages in the Known Spam directory. Suddenly, Earthlink does not allow me to use the "select all" function and click "This Is Not Spam." Rather, it insists that I select "individual messages."

I have found empirically that I can select up to 10 messages at a time, but with 50 messages that means 4 extra cycles of manually selecting and clicking.

I'm not sure who decided to make this change, or why, but it was a bad idea. It is especially bad because Earthlink, virtually alone among ISPs, has such an antiquated spam system that does not allow "good" addresses to be whitelisted. Thus, people like me must fish through the so-called Known Spam directory almost daily to rescue messages from the same reputable senders over and over again. Now, with this latest wrinkle, you have made this burden even more burdensome.

I have been an Earthlink customer since 1995, but it is getting increasingly difficult to justify staying with your service.

We are now in the process of actually implementing the long-awaiting whitelisting mechanism so that you can specify senders that will always be delivered to the Inbox. It will be released in Q1 2012.

In the meantime I know it can be frustrating if you have legit bulk mail senders getting flagged as spam. That generally only happens because many many users have reported that sender as a spammer. That is usually because an otherwise legit sender doesn't do a good job of managing their bulk email lists and removing inactive users, or sometimes they don't make it easy to opt out.

Posted by: Joe User   |   November 14, 2011 3:03 PM    |   (607)

The Earthink email service has been down this morning. What is the ETA or service restoration?

Posted by: Russ (Doc D.)   |   December 2, 2011 4:31 PM    |   (608)

A number of folks have been asking for a longtime now why Earthlink Webmail does not have a Hyperlink Button on the Toolbar as most other webmail systems do. Although there are workarounds people who use Firefox especially have a hardtime getting around this. The coding or option is really not that hard to do and could serve useful to so many others as well. It's been a longtime coming (years), can we expect to see Earthlink to add this?

See here for exmples of folks easking about this feature

Posted by: Gene   |   January 4, 2012 3:24 PM    |   (609)

Would you consider moving SIGN OUT back to the top area of the page?
I, and I suspect many others, need to use enlarged print.
This puts SIGN OUT below the bottom of the screen, requiring a scroll down to get to it.
Since many sites seem to locate their functions near the top, that seems to be the more natural place to look.

It sounds like you are using the legacy Web Mail interface that is only published on the "C" servers. The URL in your browser will say "webmail.c.earthlink.net". The only way to view that is if you opted in to it, or you have a very old browser in which case you are redirected there. If that is not the case, click the link just under the quota bar to "Use the new Web Mail" and you will be on the current interface with that link at the top.

We didn't move anything back, but you evidently switched back to the old interface, perhaps inadvertently.

Posted by: Dave   |   February 11, 2012 2:23 PM    |   (610)

Why do I have to login every time I go to email; previously (6mos or so ago) once a day was sufficient as long as the computer was on or in sleep; and how do I change this? Thanks, Dave

Posted by: Jim   |   February 20, 2012 8:09 AM    |   (611)

I've been an Earthlink customer for nearly 10 years and appreciate the convenience of Webmail. However, in recent weeks those annoying "sponsored link ads" that appear on the log-in page have started loading much more slowly, which really drags down the speed and convenience of using Web Mail. I'm not able to enter my password and log in to my Webmail inbox until all of the ads have finished loading.

Like most users on a paid ISP site I'd be a lot happier without those ads at all - in nearly a decade, I've never clicked on one. However, if you must keep them, please tweak the coding so they don't take so long to load. Thanks!

Posted by: Ron   |   March 6, 2012 3:04 PM    |   (612)

I'm using Chrome as my user interface. The HELP function does not work. It works when using IE, but I really don't want to use it. Can you confirm there's a bug when trying to find HELP when using Google Chrome. Thanks

Posted by: andrew   |   March 12, 2012 12:08 AM    |   (613)

FIVE minutes AND COUNTING...to send a single E mail with no images.....Puleeze!!!!!

Posted by: val   |   March 16, 2012 8:26 AM    |   (614)

Somehow I lost the toolbars at the top of my email, such as view, edit and the like. Don't know where to go to get them back. Can you help?
Thank you.
Val

It sounds like you inadvertently clicked the link to use the old Web Mail. Look just under the quota bar on the left side and you should have a link to go back to the new Web Mail.

Posted by: Allen Matthews   |   May 16, 2012 6:59 PM    |   (615)

Dear Email Guy,
I am having a constant problem when i hit SEND... Almost every time I get a message in a yellow window that says, "an internal error has occurred please (non quote from here on) click something or other..." and my work of art, my message with many difficult to find facts and figures, my hard fought out expressive thoughts is gone. Sometime I can retrieve it, sometimes it has actually been sent and is in my SENT folder but like a few minutes ago some messages vanish... Are gone gone.

I have used earthlink web mail rather than an email program for years and years... This problem started, I don't know exactly, like maybe 6 or more months ago... At first it was occasional but now it has become a constant and serious problem... Please help me on this one... I am a US citizen, living and working in Italy ... Use a 1 year old maxed out iMac and more recently an iPad...

Posted by: JJJ   |   May 24, 2012 9:09 AM    |   (616)

I am typing away writing an e-mail (Firefox and Earthlink on my ipad) when a dialogue box appears asking me whether I want to leave the page or stay on the page. Firefox is then frozen and will not let me access anything I have to force quit the application and consequently lose the e-mail I'm working on, plus, all its contents.
Don't know whether it is ipod, Firefox,or Earthlink problem.
it has happened over and over again!

Posted by: Betty Quist   |   June 22, 2012 10:41 PM    |   (617)

I get the same message that blog 615 gets about every time I send - ("an internal error has occurred...etc"). Often it will actually be sent when I get that message but usually I have to hit "send" again and it will go. Or, I put it in draft and try from there. I like the new program so I don't want to go back to past versions.

Am I supposed to be able to spell check from the Draft File? In my case, I get the screen but no spell checking.

The font tools are very nice.

Posted by: Mark Hein   |   August 24, 2012 10:15 PM    |   (618)

In the Virus Blocker folder it warns against moving files out of the folder. Is it safe to open the file while it is IN the Virus Blocker folder?

It is safe to view the message text, but opening an attachment that was identified as a virus may cause your computer to get infected. Don't click on the attachment(s).

Posted by: Regina Litman   |   October 3, 2012 8:52 PM    |   (619)

This turned out to be long, so here are my two questions summarized. Read on for background information/more details:

1. When using Desktop on a mobile device, I'd rather not get that weekly interruption asking me to confirm my Desktop choice over the mobile version.

2. For times when my mobile connection is slow, I'd like to see the Sign In button be one of the first things sent to the screen.

I used to post here regularly, but I haven't been here in a while because I've been mostly satisfied with your product. Plus, the blog stopped getting updated as frequently - I can understand, busy with other stuff, etc.

I've also been using Web Mail on my browser on my Android-based smartphone. I was originally defaulted to the mobile version (FAR inferior to what I was accustomed to on the big computer), but fortunately, unlike some web sites (an example being major league baseball's mlb.com), I was able to override this and go to the "desktop version" that I know and love (said seriously, not facetiously).

I do have two complaints about using Web Mail on the mobile device:

1. Once a week (after 168 hours have passed following the last time this happened), I get a portal page asking me to confirm that I want to go on to the Desktop version instead of the Mobile version. Listen, if I really wanted the Mobile version, I would have selected it, and I know where to find it. So I'd rather not get this prompt and therefore only go seamlessly to the Desktop version sign on page.

2. Sometimes (but not the majority of the time), I have a slow (3G) Internet connection. And sometimes (but not always) when I have a slow connection, the Sign In button is the last thing (or one of the last things) to show up. In the worst situation, loading of the page stops completely before Sign In shows up. In the early days of the Internet, the area where a graphic that was used for selecting an option was clickable even if the graphic didn't load, as long as you knew where to click. But the Web Mail log-in page is useless without the Sign In button actually being there.

So can someone please tweak Web Mail to ensure that the Sign In button is one of the FIRST things sent for the login page?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

On the page to make a choice of web site, we don't expire that cookie in a week, or ever. You must have some process running on your computer deleting the cookie regularly. As long as that earthlink.net cookie remains then you won't get the choice again.

Thanks for the other feedback and we'll take a look at changing the order.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 601-619 of 619