« Ground Rules     |   Back to MAIN   |     Ask Email Guy »

Tell Us About It - 11/01/06

Subject:       Tell Us About It
Date: November 1, 2006 7:14 AM

Use this open forum to suggest a new topic, a new feature, or comment about something you can't find anywhere else on this site. If your comment leads to an interesting discussion I'll start a new topic entry and copy your comments there if appropriate. This is an open thread, but with some reasonable limits. Please read the Ground Rules.

If you want to ask a question for the host, a better place is the Ask Email Guy section.

Try using the search feature to see if your topic has already been opened. If you find it then that would be the best place for your comments. If you don't find it, please put them here.

Click here to Post or click the Comment link.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 576-600 of 619   |   Next »   |   End »

Posted by: Beth Ryan   |   January 13, 2011 2:03 PM    |   (576)

I'm very good about using my Blocked Senders list. I have entered a domain there and messages from that domain keep getting through. They are using the same domain name but different "from" names which is different for each of the emails. Shouldn't entering the domain name be enough?

BTW when I report it as spam I don't get an option of any other domain names to block, just the main one.

Thanks

Posted by: Charlie Frye   |   January 17, 2011 3:39 PM    |   (577)

Webmail session timeouts continue. Same as reported by Peter Brooks on 9/26/10 (comment #563), my 24-hour session preference is routinely ignored and my sessions time out after only a few hours. Has been going on for a lot longer than just last September. Usually noticed in early afternoon after a morning log-in. May have been also noticed after midnight following an evening log-in. Perhaps timers are getting confused by Noon and Midnight?

I too am using an older Webmail interface.

Posted by: JACKTHEBEAR   |   January 21, 2011 11:30 PM    |   (578)

I HAVE HAD EARTHLINK FOR ABOUT 13 YEARS, BEGINNING WITH DIAL-UP. I NOW HAVE A FAST COMPUTER AND HIGH SPEED INTERNET. FOR THE LAST 2 WEEKS, LOGGING ON TAKES AS MANY AS 20 ATTEMPTS. LOGGING OUT IS IMPOSSIBLE. I KEEP GETTING "INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DISPLAY THIS WEB PAGE" MESSAGES. OCCASSIONALLY I GET AN "APACHE TOMCAT/4.1.24 ERROR REPORT". I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED WITH EARTHLINK BECAUSE THE ONLY "HUMAN" I CAN TALK TO IS CUSTOMER SUPPORT IN THE COUNTRY OF INDIA. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND THEM BECAUSE I HAVE A HEARING IMPAIRMENT. CAN YOU HELP ME?

Posted by: Ellen Herr   |   February 7, 2011 8:57 PM    |   (579)

My webmail is set to stay open for 8 hours but each time I go to webmail, the sign in page comes up.

Posted by: David   |   February 9, 2011 3:33 PM    |   (580)

In the old Web Mail I could print my Address Book in Internet Explorer by highlighting all Contacts or Domains to print, then selecting "File-Print-Selection" and then printing. I cannot do that with the new Web Mail because scrolling from the first to last Contacts does not actually capture all items. All items look highlighted but when I print, only the first 30 or 40 contacts print. Can you help?

Posted by: Billie J.Fistler   |   February 20, 2011 4:16 PM    |   (581)

When I try to log into my mailit comes on with unable to connect to server Try again later. This has been going on for over a month now. Whats wrong?

Posted by: Charlie Frye   |   February 21, 2011 5:02 PM    |   (582)

At least once a week, I get automatically logged out of my web-mail. My preference is set to 24 hours but today I got logged out after 5.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   March 1, 2011 5:47 PM    |   (583)

Inability to "White List" Addresses

I haven't posted here for a while, but that doesn't mean that the longstanding irritations I have experienced are no longer irritating.

Perhaps the most obnoxious is the inability to "whitelist" sender addresses that I want to receive mail from. I believe that Earthlink must be the only major e-mail provider that lacks this capability.

Today I visited the so-called "known spam" directory. Fully 2/3 of the entries (about 20 messages out of 30) were not spam, but were from regular senders whose messages I wanted to receive.

I religiously use the "This Is Not Spam" link to transfer these false positives to my Inbox, but as far as I can tell Earthlink pays no attention to this. It calls to mind the credit card commercial where the bearded guy with a Slavic accent answers a customer service call with, "Hello, this is Peggy," and then uses a manual calculating machine to compute the reward points for the calling customer. That is how I visualize the technical operation at Earthlink -- working with a technical architecture that is a decade or more old.

Why is it that other e-mail providers -- who by the way don't even charge for their services -- can implement a whitelisting function?

Posted by: Bob Brown   |   March 5, 2011 5:35 AM    |   (584)

For at least a month, maybe 2 or 3. I attempt to login to webmail, and get a message that, "Due to inactivity, my account has expired." However, in many cases, I had just turned on the computer and just started the webmail tool for the first time that day. When I try the second time, I am able to login to webmail. This happens regardless of which computer I use, or at which location I am at, or which email address I am trying to connect to. Other than that, I really like the webmail service you provide.

Posted by: Sally Campbell   |   March 18, 2011 7:37 AM    |   (585)

For the last little while, everytime I delete a message from my suspect mail list I'm thrown out of webmail. It is often the last message in the list. This happens if I do it from the message, not if I check the box on the list and delete it. So I have a way around it, if I remember, but I'd rather not have the problem. Am I the only one?

Posted by: G Bryan   |   March 23, 2011 1:57 PM    |   (586)

I'm disappointed that my comments here are no longer considered worthy of approval. I submitted them in good faith, in a civil tone, with sufficient detail to explain the problems I continue to experience. I would think such feedback would be welcomed, but it appears you have decided to bury your problems rather than address them.

GLB

Posted by: Elaine Preston   |   March 26, 2011 9:51 PM    |   (587)

I was with earthlinkfor 10 years. I later changed to Road Runner and Earthlink offered me a web mail box. I had it for over two years and was told it would be discontinued at the end of January.I can not longer access that mail box and the problem is I cannot get rid of the tab I used to access that mil box. It is no longer listed in Programs or any other place. I deleted it from the home page area and it still appears in a tab every time I open Internet explorer. I also deleted the earthlink program Any other sugestions?????

Thanks

Posted by: John Roebuck   |   March 28, 2011 5:58 PM    |   (588)

Fix the damn "due to inactivity..."

Posted by: Bill   |   March 30, 2011 8:27 PM    |   (589)

I just received the following email which sounds like a phishing scam .... sent it to Earthlink, but as of yet, no response from them .....

Dear EarthLink Subscriber,

As a result of incessant rate of Spam, we are currently upgrading EarthLink with a hard spam protector as such all EarthLink Account users must respond to this e-Mail immediately. Failure to comply with the above instruction will immediately render your e-Mail ACCOUNT deactivated from our database.

Enter your data here:
EarthLink e-Mail Address:
EarthLink Password:

EarthLink Member Service
EarthLink Support
upgraderesponses@gala.net

Sincerely,

EarthLink

Posted by: Judy   |   April 6, 2011 8:26 PM    |   (590)

I miss Email Guy. What happened to him and will he come back and answer questions?????

Posted by: Mac   |   April 11, 2011 8:06 PM    |   (591)

SLOW!

Earthlink provides my sprintmail email service. For the last month, earthlink webmail has been EXTREMELY slow, regardless of trying different computers and different ISP providers (both cable and DSL). Messages take too long to appear. When saving attachments to email to a file, the download speed is 60kb/second, vs. the old 3mg/second!

Are others experiencing this? Are there solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

Mac

Posted by: frustrated   |   April 21, 2011 9:17 PM    |   (592)

why is it that i pay for earthlink's service but still have to deal with advertising, poor mobile mail interfaces, and have limited space to store messages?

And don't get me started about the live support techs that don't read the information you provide them in a chat session, ask you do check things unrelated to the problem, and treat you like you don't know what you're talking about?

Posted by: Byron   |   April 27, 2011 3:52 AM    |   (593)

Could you have someone at corporate check the feedback mailbox a little more often?

I know earthlink deactivates mailboxes when they haven't been logged in to for more than 90 days so getting the following (edited to remove personal info) bounce message doesn't give me confidence that the feedback messages are read, much less acted upon.

That bounce was from a secondary mailbox where feedback is copied, and not the main feedback mailing list that is read daily by several people (which kept working). It's been fixed now and I took steps to keep this from happening again.

Posted by: Ron   |   April 29, 2011 9:36 PM    |   (594)

Date posted should be added to domain blocked, in blocked senders list. It would enable user to delete oldest post first when necessary if max has been reached in spam blocker.

Posted by: Joyce E. Romer   |   May 3, 2011 8:23 AM    |   (595)

I like to use the emotion faces and other items...like the heart and flowers,etc. Is there any way to add more of these? Perhaps there is a place to find more but I don't know where. Thanks, Joyce

Posted by: terry george   |   May 11, 2011 5:53 PM    |   (596)

My daughter sent a message from Peru and it was blocked and deleted before I had a chance to read it. Other messages from her have come through. I thought my settings permitted me to receive all messages and determine if they should be deleted. What is happening? tg

Posted by: Charlie SChloss   |   May 11, 2011 8:20 PM    |   (597)

I have a bug to report that is about 9 years old. I set up to get a daily spam summery and have not received one in 4 years even tho I have tried setting it 5 times and done a live chat 4 times. I have used Opera, and IE 8 and Ie 6 and it still does not work at all. I seem to get none

Posted by: Rick ;^)   |   May 23, 2011 7:39 AM    |   (598)

> SLOW!
> For the last month, earthlink webmail has been EXTREMELY slow, regardless of trying...
> Are others experiencing this?
> Are there solutions to this problem?

It seems that there are basic problems at Earthlink as regards WEB mail.
Over the past few months it has evidently been down a lot and when it works is SLOW!

It is not clear if this is a problem with the Mail services or the WEB interface. If only the latter, one might use a local mail client or a better WEB mail interface (Google). Perhaps Eatrhlink should sub the mail services to Google... then perhaps we might have a nicer UI and not have to preen the storage so often, if ever.

Cheers,

- Rick "Loyal TIAC (currently earthlink) customer since the last millennium"

Posted by: William Buckley   |   July 18, 2011 11:13 AM    |   (599)

Help! I've been a user of Earthlink for many years, and unfortunately, have to use dial-up because of where I live with my present telephone service. Because of the "bells, whistles, and flashing gif's", Earthlink's website and webmail have become very, very, very slow for dial-up. I grow old waiting for my emails and for using the website. I simply am considering leaving Earthlink for this reason. Anyone have any ideas to improve this slow, slow, slow service? I have Earthlink tune-up and Accelerator which do not help.

Posted by: Charles   |   August 11, 2011 10:04 AM    |   (600)

When my wife sends a webmail the reply comes back in my name. Any way to make the response be addressed to sender of the web mail? Thank you.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 576-600 of 619   |   Next »   |   End »