« Users reporting session timeouts in Web Mail     |   Back to MAIN   |     FIXED - Why did my Folders list disappear? »

How do I delete all messages at one time? - 12/27/06

Subject:       How do I delete all messages at one time?
Date: December 27, 2006 8:33 PM

Users ask how they can delete all the messages in their Inbox (or other folder) without having to do them one at a time, or 20 at a time (default page size).

Click the Folders link on the left, and on that page you can delete all the messages in any folder with one click. Deleting from that page does NOT move messages to the Trash, it deletes them permanently, so use it carefully.

You can also change the messages-per-page setting under Preferences / Web Mail Options and set it as high as 200. Then select all messages on a page at once by using the topmost checkbox. If there is one you want to leave alone, just uncheck it. You can delete or move all checked messages at one time. Note that a higher messages-per-page setting will result in slower loading.

Posted by: Fred Harris   |   March 1, 2007 5:59 PM    |   (1)

How can I permanently delete e-mail messages so once I've read them remotely via springmail on my laptop, they aren't again downloaded via Outlook Express when I get home to my mainframe. In other words, I can delete my webmail via springmail, but the same messages will still download via Outlook Express. Thank you in advance for your answer.

Fred:

Once you delete a message in Web Mail, it is no longer retrievable by Outlook Express. So the sequence you describe should never occur. If it appeared that way, I suspect your Outlook has retrieved the messages before you deleted them in Web Mail. Back when we had the old "springmail" that Web Mail replaced, perhaps this was possible. It isn't now.

Posted by: sunsetshades   |   March 8, 2007 10:00 AM    |   (2)

When cleaning out my web-box, after sorting by subject or sender I'll often want to eliminate a few dozen consecutive emails which always seem to fall in the middle of the page. The all-or-1 system simply offers the option of clicking or un-clicking an equally unwieldy stack of those tiny
boxes. Surely there must a 'shift-click'-style shortcut to highlight/check a select portion of the list...

Posted by: Kathleen Hall   |   April 13, 2007 12:09 PM    |   (3)

"Topmost checkbox" (your term in Dec 27 2006 response to Q: How can I delete all messages at one time?) no longer works. Nor does the Check All at bottom left. And of course the Clear All does not work either. I have inquired about this twice, to no avail. (Opera/XP and/or Mac 10.x/Safari).

That problem only occurs when using the Opera browser, and it is a known bug that we hope to fix.

Posted by: Kate   |   June 14, 2007 6:01 PM    |   (4)

I have an office manager who I am training and she seems to have accidently erased my whole in box by-passing trash. How is she doing this? She's done it 2x with the business and 1x with my personal.
Kate

She has probably used other email software besides Web Mail and retrieved the messages to that software. See this FAQ.

Posted by: Mel Strom   |   April 25, 2008 4:10 PM    |   (5)

24 Apr 2008
13.00 Los Angeles
Re: 'checkboxes'

Kathleen Hall, below, posted about this bug a year ago, and it has bugged me for a lot longer than that. For years I have assumed that this is a problem with Opera, and kept hoping against hope it would get fixed soon. Microsoft cripples their Web interface to Outlook mail to exactly the same effect, so that if you're not using Microsoft products (I.E. or Outlook), you have to deal with each message individually. Is there some really serious programming obstacle that makes this unfixable for Earthlink's mail? Or does Earthlink need to work with the Opera people to deal with the problem? Please just fix this.

==Mel Strom

Posted by: Kathleen Hall | April 13, 2007 12:09 PM | (3)

The problem is with Opera, but we would like to do a workaround so that it works on that browser. They don't support the javascript method used by the "check all" feature, and all other browsers do. It isn't anything non-standard, it just isn't supported by Opera.