« How do I delete all messages at one time?     |   Back to MAIN   |     What is that winmail.dat file? »

FIXED - Why did my Folders list disappear? - 01/03/07

Subject:       FIXED - Why did my Folders list disappear?
Date: January 3, 2007 7:35 PM

FIXED

After the release of Web Mail 5.12.0 on December 15, a few users have reported that they can't see the Folders list in the left panel. We've found the cause, and it will be fixed soon (early to mid-February).

In that release, the allowed character list for folder names was expanded to include, among other special characters, the apostrophe. This works fine as long as any new folder you create with an apostrophe in the name is also less than 20 characters in length. But if the name is 20 characters or longer, and contains an apostrophe, your folder tree will disappear as soon as you create the new folder. The reason is that for folder names of 20 characters or more, the display is truncated and we show a tooltip on mouseover that displays the full name. It is actually the tooltip part of the script that is choking, and causes the whole tree display to fail.

TO FIX:
If you get in this state, then you can get back to the Folders management view by entering the URL for the folders page in your browser directly (since the link is now hidden from you). Just edit the URL shown in your browser address bar, and replace the part that says "index.jsp" with "folders.jsp" and you will then be back on the folders page, and you can rename or delete the folder causing the trouble.

This bug will be fixed in 5.13, set to release in late February.

Posted by: Nick   |   January 12, 2007 11:18 PM    |   (1)

Does earthlink have imap available for their hosted websites?
Since earthlink has implemented an imap backend for webmail, will that server be made accessible directly?

Posted by: Email Guy   |   January 13, 2007 11:05 AM    |   (2)

Currently we have no plans to offer direct IMAP service.

Posted by: linda montgomery   |   January 15, 2007 7:23 PM    |   (3)

I really am enjoying this web site

Posted by: Luann   |   January 16, 2007 6:06 PM    |   (4)

Thank God that YOU are a human, not a robot. It is such a relief to get an actual answer (not to mention one that works)! Earthlink needs to double your salary, buddy.

Posted by: Matthew Peterson   |   January 17, 2007 7:49 AM    |   (5)

There are e-mails I have received with important informantion. I did not delete them. WHERE ARE THEY? HOW CAN I GET THEM BACK why did you change format.

Posted by: Email Guy   |   January 17, 2007 8:58 AM    |   (6)

I have checked your account logs, and your messages are being deleted from the server by the other email software you are running on your computer, not from Web Mail. Earthlink will never delete any messages from your Inbox or other folders you create.

If you want your messages to remain on the server and be viewed in Web Mail, you need to set your other email software to leave the messages on the server, or only use Web Mail to check email. Once you retrieve and delete them using other software, then those messages are only viewable in that software as they are then only on your local computer and not on our server.

The messages you are looking for should be present on your computer in your email software. We do not have access to them. You will also find this article helpful.
There is a link near the bottom of it that will take you to instructions for changing the setting in your software, to "Leave Messages On the Server".

As for us "changing format", I don't know what you refer to, nothing in the Web Mail layout has changed recently. If your folder list is not displayed, the fix is in the article above these comments.

Posted by: Theresa   |   January 17, 2007 10:06 PM    |   (7)

Thank you, I can see my folders list again! I wrote in about this problem on Dec. 20 and even after doing the recommended actions, I still couldn't see my folders. It was thought that my Firefox add-on, No Script, was the culprit, as I didn't have any other security software installed yet, but that wasn't the case either. Sure enough, I had a folder whose name contained an apostrophe and was 20 characters long. Looking at the date of the lone message that was in the folder, I realized that the moment I created that folder was the instant my folders list went AWOL. I'm glad I decided to check this blog again today, as I had given up hope and was on the verge of going back to my old email program and putting up with seeing spam in my inbox again. This blog is a great idea!

Posted by: Tom Peacock   |   January 24, 2007 3:15 PM    |   (8)

I read answer to disappearing folders. I changed index.jap to folders.jap. Now how do I change the folder name that had an apostophe and was too long. It does not highlite, it does not accept change or will not drag to trash. Please explain.

Posted by: Email Guy   |   January 24, 2007 9:01 PM    |   (9)

Tom - if you follow the instructions correctly, you will then be on the Folders page and not the Inbox page. You are looking for the Folder management on the right side of the page. Click on "move or rename" to rename the folder causing the trouble.

Posted by: Wayne   |   February 4, 2007 5:02 PM    |   (10)

Your fixed described above worked well.

Changed the url "index" to "folders"...and saw my folders again. Great news! My issue was the use of an "apostrophe" in a new file name.

A suggestion, I tried the chat help, and never received a reply. The chat help would have been an efficient way to communicate a fix to the problem.

I've very glad to have my folders back, thanks for the help!

Posted by: Anthony Gammage   |   February 7, 2007 11:45 AM    |   (11)

In FOLDER MANAGEMENT, although my existing folders still appear as they should, I no longer have the ability to add, delete, or change folder listings. What happened?

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 7, 2007 11:58 AM    |   (12)

Anthony - you should still be able to rename or delete using the links to the right of each folder name (on the Folders page). But if the Add Folder control at the bottom is hidden, that means you already have the maximum allowed number of folders. Depending on which optional system folders you have, the max is about 40.

Posted by: Anthony Gammage   |   February 8, 2007 7:39 PM    |   (13)

I see your response to my last inquiry - thank you; however, I seem to still have problems. I counted my total of folders to be 31 and had no means to add any more. You stated I should be able to have 'about' 40. Therefore, I deleted 3, bringing my total to 28. I still have no capability to add any more folders. I foresee needing more than 40 folders over time. What do I do from here?

Anthony

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 8, 2007 8:26 PM    |   (14)

Anthony - Did you count any nested folders (folder created inside another folder)? I have checked the rule in the code and also tested it with several live accounts. The way it works is, all folders are counted (whether top level or not) and when the count gets to 40, the Add Folder feature is hidden. You have 4 or 5 default folders depending on your settings, allowing you to create 35 or 36 yourself. If you then delete a single folder, the feature immediately becomes visible again. It sounds like you have some nested folders that you missed in counting.

In an upcoming release we're going to change the way that is enforced to give an intelligent error message instead of hiding the Add feature.

Posted by: Anthony Gammage   |   February 9, 2007 8:09 PM    |   (15)

You were correct in that I did have some nested folders. However, with the three folders I deleted the last time I expected the 'ADD FOLDER' feature to reappear after deleting 1 or 2 folders. It did not. Nested folders included, I now have 34 folders, and I do not wish to delete any more folders. I am wondering how many more folders I would have to delete before I got the 'ADD FOLDERS' feature to reappear. I do not like the "40 folders limitation". I am confident that their are plenty of people that agree with me.

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 10, 2007 9:16 AM    |   (16)

Unfortunately that is the limit, and in Web Mail there are very good reasons for it. If you need more folders then I recommend you use an email software client installed on your computer (like Outlook Express etc.) and then you can have unlimited folders. But in Web Mail the folders are stored on the server, and they must be retrieved by your browser every time you access the mailbox. The limit benefits everyone by keeping perfomance up.

Posted by: Cheryl Gonzalez   |   March 27, 2007 1:32 AM    |   (17)

I *only* review MY email on webmail and earthlink has deleted my email from the suspect folder on numerous occasions. This was email I wanted but thought the time limit it could stay in suspect email was accurate. IT'S NOT!

You provide in my setting:
Empty my Suspect Email Folder every: 1 day 7 days 14 days 30 days Never

I selected NEVER but you purge it whenever someting is 1 week old. GEEZ...that's crazy! I go on vacation sometimes 2-4 weeks at a time which means NO internet access and I come back to 1 week of email when I expect it ALL to be there. 1 week can easily go by that I don't get into webmail...so why do you offer settings but totally ignore them?

Currently that setting only works up to 14 days, but the 30 day and Never settings should be working again in the next week or so. That issue was discussed elsewhere in this blog. I apologize for the trouble, which should be resolved very soon.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 12, 2007 5:39 PM    |   (18)

Re. "If you need more folders ..."

40 folders is not nearly enough! I've taken to creatively renaming and nesting folders to encompass multiple categories in each folder. That strategy helped, but I still end up with stuff orphaned and all piled in a big heap cleverly called "_Deal With Later".

Consider this:
I'm only keeping my EarthLink account open for 3 reasons:
1) I really *really* like my master account's e-mail address, and am loathe to change it.
2) I really *really* hate email software clients (e.g. Apple Mail), so Web Mail is a critical part of the deal. (Hence, "defective" Web Mail is a deal breaker.)
3) You, e-Mail Guy, give me hope that the situation will improve. (As I've said before, were it not for you, I'd have already have packed it up and moved on.)

Re. "...then I recommend you use an email software client installed on your computer (like Outlook Express etc.)..."

IF that happens THEN I have absolutely no further reason to keep my EartyhLink Web Mail account. I'll go ahead and buy my own domain name so I'm never again forced to give up an e-mail address I really like, and be done with it.

There are reputable companies that offer domain names in a package deal that includes e-mail and a web page for a price similar to what I'm paying EarthLink now.

Brad

I will look into the feasability of allowing more folders to be created in Web Mail, soon.

Posted by: Steve Aaronson   |   June 13, 2010 9:14 PM    |   (19)

Can you set up an earthlink account so you can delete mail off the server from an iPad or iPhone and it won't be there when I go into outlook?