« How can my other email software play nice with Web Mail?     |   Back to MAIN   |     About the Web Mail outage on 2/16 »

How do I view messages in Known Spam? - 02/13/07

Subject:       How do I view messages in Known Spam?
Date: February 13, 2007 8:05 AM

When you click on Known Spam you will see a a graph of message counts per day instead of a list of messages. The caption at the top of that screen says,

"All Known spam that is sent to your address is currently being deleted. The graph below shows how much spam has been caught by Known spam Blocking over time."
That is the default setting, to count it and delete it. Our false positive rate (flagging a good message as spam) is less than one in one million, so this method is best for most users and allows us to provide better service without storing all of the 100+ million spam messages we process every single day.

You can change that setting by clicking on spamBlocker / Settings and scrolling down until you see the setting that says, "Delete Known Spam Immediately" and just change that to Off. Then you will see a message listing similar to other folders when you click on Known Spam. The most recent 100 Known Spam messages up to 10 days old will be saved in that folder. When a message in that folder reaches 10 days old it will be deleted automatically unless you move it to another folder. If the message count goes over 100 in less than 10 days, only the last 100 are saved.

One reason users get confused about the Known Spam folder is because of a bug in the message count shown beside the Known Spam folder name on the main Web Mail page. That is being fixed in the upcoming release. It should always show zero if the messages have been deleted, and should always show the correct count if they are being saved.

Posted by: Bill Meacham   |   February 17, 2007 11:51 AM    |   (1)

I am a member of various Yahoo groups and get mail from them. Often Web Mail puts them in the Spam folder even though the From address is me and is in my address book. How can I make Web Mail put these legitimate messages in my in-box? Here is a sample of the message I get when I tell Web Mail to move the message to my in-box

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 17, 2007 2:24 PM    |   (2)

Bill - there is a known issue described here.

Posted by: MW   |   March 4, 2010 4:59 AM    |   (3)

I am having this very same problem with half of the email -- not all of it, for some reason -- being sent to me from Livejournal. The address they use is lj_notify@livejournal.com . This does not involve self-sending, and for some reason even though all the email is from the same address, some gets stuck in "known spam" and some does not.

This makes no sense and only started happening a couple weeks ago. I assume you can fix this and that it isn't part of this "known issue" from way back in 2006...?

Thanks!

Posted by: Rol Murrow   |   July 12, 2010 5:32 PM    |   (4)

I choose NOT to instantly auto delete spam because many valid messages end up in the known spam folder and I need to mark them NOT SPAM.

The 100 message limit for known spam is far too low! I can get 100 mostly spam messages in a few hours and almost always there is a valid message among them.

So I am losing valid messages because I can't scan the known spam folder a bunch of times a day. Your system autodeletes them before I can get to them.

I rarely use webmail - almost always use Outlook. So I do not maintain a contact list on your system.

Also please allow the known spam folder to accumulate a few days worth of spam to allow for my traveling etc and I can check for good messages on my return.

Posted by: Michael Lafferty   |   August 8, 2012 1:37 AM    |   (5)

How do I see what e-mails are in the Spam Folder? I would like to know if something is getting bumped to spam that I should be seeing. I've clicked all over the place and have not found a way to see into that folder. While I appreciate the blocking, I would like to have the opportunity to see what's in there.

Click on Preferences / spamBlocker (or just click the Edit link beside spamBlocker on the left) and scroll down to the setting for "Delete Known Spam Immediately" and set that to OFF.