« About the Web Mail outage on 2/16     |   Back to MAIN   |     How do I save (or delete) my login and password? »

New enhancements to the blog search - 02/17/07

Subject:       New enhancements to the blog search
Date: February 17, 2007 12:06 PM

Thanks to a new plugin written by Stepan Riha over at http://www.nonplus.net/software/mt/ the search results on this blog will now link you directly to comment entries and responses that contain exactly what you are looking for. This makes searching for the answer to your question much easier than before.

Just type a couple of words or an exact phrase enclosed "in quotes" in the search box on the main page of the blog, and you'll get direct links to your answer and won't have to scroll through a long page of comments trying to find what you are looking for. You can also click the Advanced Search link for more options. With this new enhancement, I'll probably be removing the "Search This Page" link that I had put at the upper right of the archive pages as a temporary workaround for this problem.

Some questions are asked over and over on this blog because it has been difficult for readers to find where it had already been answered. Now both readers and myself will have a much easier time. Note however, that if your question has been answered several times before, I probably will stop publishing most repeats of the identical question. So please use the search feature before asking new questions in the Ask Email Guy thread.

Thanks again Stepan, I really appreciate you creating this feature for me on short notice.

Posted by: Roy   |   February 19, 2007 11:24 PM    |   (1)

You know what bothers me about your protection?? Every time I add more domains to my blocked senders list, I seem to get even more junk e-mails!! I simply do not have time to sit at my computer and add all these extra mailing to my "blocked domain" list! Earthlink needs to do a better job of figuring out how to totally block unwanted e-mails to your clients, I am TIRED of having to continually deal with this problem on a day in and day out bais! Thank you

Roy

Posted by: Paul Lamarre   |   February 20, 2007 2:55 PM    |   (2)

Two questions:

Our email header reads as follows:

From: melissa wolf [Add to Address Book]

How can I change it to read:

From: paul lamarre and melissa wolf

And is there a way to get rid of the flashing banners at the top of our email page?

Posted by: Email Guy   |   February 20, 2007 3:35 PM    |   (3)

Paul - click Preferences / Web Mail Options. The From name is set there, and is currently set to what you entered when you first used Web Mail. Note that when you send from any other email software, your From name is set in that software separately, and the setting in Web Mail only affects messages sent using Web Mail.

Posted by: Don Snowdrifter   |   February 22, 2007 10:41 AM    |   (4)

We use Web Mail to send out information to our club members about our events. Since we have more than 300 members, this requires sending the same message three or four times as Earthlink will only allow less than 100 to be sent at one time. Can this limit be increased?

Don:

That limit only applies when using the Web Mail site. You can use any email software installed on your computer, to send out more than 100 at a time. Outlook Express, for example.

Posted by: VedaB   |   March 19, 2007 9:44 PM    |   (5)

Recently I have noticed that when I have more than one page of emails in my Inbox, if I am on page 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, whichever the case may be, if I open an email to read it and then click the "Back to Inbox" link at the top of the page, it returns me to page 1, instead of leaving me on the same page I was on when I opened the email. I just started noticing this recently. Why is it doing this?