« What is the size limit for messages and attachments?     |   Back to MAIN   |     FIXED - Disappearing subject lines on old Mozilla / Firefox »

Web Mail 5.13 released March 5 - 03/05/07

Subject:       Web Mail 5.13 released March 5
Date: March 5, 2007 10:06 AM

This morning we launched a minor Web Mail update to fix a number of bugs and issues reported by users. There are a couple of small enhancements to existing functionality in this release (we're still working on some exciting new stuff), but there are a lot of helpful bug fixes.

If you have trouble with the new release using the same browser that worked fine for you before, please try deleting the cached files in your browser, close the browser, and try again. In some browser this is called Temporary Internet Files or Cache.

First, we know about two new problems that were inadvertently introduced in this release, and hope to have them fixed late tomorrow night (3/6) and be working again on Wednesday 3/7. They are:

1. (FIXED)   When using the message Preview, unread messages in the Sent folder and other folders cannot be viewed. This doesn't affect the Inbox. The workaround until we fix it is to toggle the "Hide Message Preview" at the upper right. Messages that are already read (not bold) are not affected either way.
  2. (FIXED)   The behavior of the "Delete All NN Messages" button in the Suspect Email folder was changed, and is being put back like it was.

Here are some of the main fixes that are already in the new release in production:

• Fixed some problems with exporting the Address Book, including the handling of special characters like quotes and commas, and including some fields that had been missing.
  • Fixed some problems with importing Address Book data from a CSV file.
  • Changed the handling of text file attachments including .txt and .html. to allow saving those files or opening them independently of Web Mail. Previously they could only be opened like messages, within Web Mail. Now they are handled just like other file attachments.
  • Fixed a number of file attachment bugs, especially on Firefox, including the "null" prefix bug.
  • Fixed the handling of special characters in email addresses for outgoing messages, so you can now send to someone with an address like !#$%&'*-/=?^_`{|}~@test.com (or one containing any of those characters).
  • Fixed some minor display issues where fonts and font sizes weren't correct while composing (didn't display exactly what your recipient would see).
  • Fixed the spacing of the Inbox listing to be closer together and show more messages on the page; this is back to the way it used to be before it was inadvertently changed sometime last year.
  • Fixed pasting of formatted text from other programs like Word so that hidden formatting characters aren't displayed.
  • Changed the feature that auto-adds contacts on sending, to be always-on when using spamBlocker on High, so that you can always receive the reply.
  • Fixed the folder count for the Known Spam folder that appears beside the folder name.
  • Fixed cursor placement when Replying to an HTML message.
  • Fixed this bug, where certain characters could break the display of the folder tree.
  • Fixed the sending of messages by just typing the nickname in the address line.
  • The auto-add prompt for Address Book on outgoing messages is no longer case-sensitive.
  • Fixed a number of issues for handling foreign characters in various features.
  • Added a new feature to display all file attachments when you Forward a message, and allow unselecting them individually before sending.

We have just about completely fixed the issue described here, where users would get timed-out before their session setting, and have to log in again.

Please continue to send feedback and report any new issues you find. I'll have some news soon on the great new features we are working on.

Posted by: frank d   |   March 6, 2007 10:32 AM    |   (1)

Glad to find this blog and hear some news about active development.

I for one look forward to spam filtering enhancements and small efficiency upgrades like having user preference options so you don't have to confirm submitting something as SPAM or don't have to confirm emptying the trash. Links to delete, etc at the top and the bottom of the preview window, so you don't have to scroll all the way back up to the top of the message to perform an action. Allow the user to select multiple images from the list view and submit them all at once as SPAM.

I recently activated https: but with every page the browser warns me there are unsecure elements. I suspect these are the ads? Which brings me to why Earthlink even has advertising? I understand a free product like hotmail or gmail serves some ads, but why on a paid account with Earthlink? And why if it breaks the https process?

I'm glad you found the blog, and both of your questions have been discussed in detail here and here and are easily found using the search or the category listings. I'm feeling nice today.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Posted by: Hap   |   March 6, 2007 11:25 AM    |   (2)

I am getting "Sorry, an internal error has occured. Please click on the Web Mail link on the header and return to Web Mail." when trying to view emails I was able to view earlier this morning. Some emails view fine, other get the error. I have cleared all my browser cache and restarted per the instructions and still get the same error. An unrelated issue which has been on going for a while now some people are not getting all of the emails I send them. Apparently the occasional email is getting lost somehow. Pretty sure this is not user error on either end since we are generally competent people ;-)

Posted by: L.B. SMERIN   |   March 6, 2007 2:04 PM    |   (3)

Regarding "Sent Mail", I cannot open all sent mail that was previously reviewed.
Message keeps saying for all sent messages:

From: Unavailable [Add to Address Book]
[This is spam]
To: Unavailable
Cc: Unavailable
Subject: Unavailable
Date: Unavailable

Will this be patched and repaired in the system by tonight.

Please advise.

Yes, this will be fixed overnight tonight and be working again early Wed. morning.

Posted by: Clifford Perrenod   |   March 6, 2007 7:04 PM    |   (4)

In my web mail I have noticed that the numerical count for the folder "Known Spam" is zero and does not update to reflect the actual current spam being caught.

Another problem is that when I select in my Suspect Spam folder an item as spam instead of just being sent off to your spam filter it is sending the "spam message" to my trash folder instead.

Cliff

The first item is correct behavior, and was fixed yesterday (although you may have become accustomed to the incorrect behavior). The count should be zero when you have no spam messages in the folder, just like all other folders are counted. The count of how many were blocked and deleted for you is on the graph. The folder should only have a count when you are saving those messages, by changing the setting in spamBlocker / Settings.

The second item was a mistake and will be fixed tonight, and will work right tomorrow.

Posted by: George   |   March 6, 2007 10:11 PM    |   (5)

Friend,
"Minor" web mail adjustment? It has shut me down, with no warning and this was a bad week to have faced this; I am not not tech savvy. Could you not have given me a little warning? We still love you.

Posted by: IOAN TALFRYN THOOMAS   |   March 7, 2007 7:48 PM    |   (6)

so nice to see someone is looking after me.

Posted by: Robert Meintzer   |   March 9, 2007 12:00 AM    |   (7)

I have no idea what you're thinking about saying things are fixed. It's a nightmare. The suspected spam delete part is back to where it should be..yay!!! But I cannot access my email because it will not show the subjects lines for many messages..and then won't let you open the message..frustrating!!! Also the window slider is really weird..if you don't move it just right, it dumps you into never-never land. Let's have a priority push to get things working right!

Posted by: Reg Burgess   |   March 9, 2007 10:53 AM    |   (8)

The "move to folder and add contact" for nn messages in the suspect folder seems to have developed the same symptom as delete nn messages had a few days ago.

Methinks someone needs a short course on regression testing (-:

Posted by: Brad   |   March 27, 2007 2:01 PM    |   (9)

If you can't get the basics right, *especially* after they previously worked correctly, no way in **** do I want to be forced to alpha or beta test "some exciting new stuff"!

Posted by: peggy   |   March 28, 2007 2:31 PM    |   (10)

i have webmail and like it my question is can i use my web mail to send and recive emails i have outlook express i have the out look express and always had trouble with it so i don't even try no more can i just use the web mail for sending and reciveing can i delete the out look express or uninstall it or what can i do with it thank you please let me know.

You can simply stop using Outlook Express and use only Web Mail. If you do this, be sure you don't run Outlook inadvertently and let it remove all your messages from the server. Read more about how they both work here.

Posted by: Mark   |   June 22, 2007 8:58 AM    |   (11)

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Posted by: Esther   |   November 6, 2007 8:13 PM    |   (12)

How do I go about hiding email addresses of multiple recipients that will all be receiving the same message?

Put the addresses on the Bcc (blind carbon copy) line, and not on the To line.

Posted by: Bob Bewley   |   December 12, 2007 11:41 AM    |   (13)

I have the issue that is answered below. However, How do I fix the interference with Javascripts? I have the latest IE and Firefox and get the same response on each. I use McAfee (YECH!). What settings can I maked to stop this ERROR ON PAGE???
THANK YOU!

PREVIOUS QUESTION: Sorry if youv'e dealt w/ this ...couldn't find if you have. At INBOX, when I check box ( to delete mail w/o opening), lower left hand corner states "error on page" and will not allow me to delete message without opening full message.
Thanks for any help that you can offer.

PREVIOUS ANSWER:No, I haven't seen this. What browser are you using? This doesn't happen for us in any browser we have tested. It is likely that some security software is interfering with the javascripts in Web Mail, or you could be using an old browser.

If this is happening in both browsers then it is definitely caused by external security software you are running. You must allow cookies and javascripts for *.earthlink.net in order to use Web Mail. You can narrow down the the problem by temporarily turning off any security software you are running, and when you find the program causing it then you have to find the settings in that program to not block anything from *.earthlink.net.