« News Preview coming soon to Web Mail !     |   Back to MAIN   |     How do I add another email address? »

Email Guy on vacation - 04/10/07

Subject:       Email Guy on vacation
Date: April 10, 2007 11:35 AM

I'll be away from my computer while on vacation and will try to catch up pending comments and questions on Monday April 16. Look for any pending comments to be published at that time.

Posted by: Beth Thurman   |   April 12, 2007 6:30 PM    |   (1)

I am having problems with my address book being available when I forward or send a message that does not appear in the email already. Normally, when I hit the TO box with any letter from the person's name or address, I automatically have choices of addresses from which to choose. This has disappeared. In order to forward or write a new message, I have to navigate awayf rom the message. This means storing it in the draft box until I can go to my address book and look up the address. If it is multiple people I need, I have to write them all down and then go back to my draft saved before mailing the mail. Every time I send a message, it asks me if I want to navigate away from the page. This did not happen before my automatic address book disappeared. Can you help me? This is very inconveniencing.

Looking for help,
Beth Thurman
terrilee@ipa.net

It sounds like you have some kind of security software blocking the javascripts and keeping Web Mail from working. The setting for the address autocomplete is under Preferences / Web Mail Options but I suspect you still have it turned on. Check your security software.

Posted by: Marita   |   April 13, 2007 1:08 PM    |   (2)

I would really like a drop down menu when I sign into Web Mail. I use two email addresses daily and it would be nice to be able to access them both from the same window.

As it is now I have to sign out of one and sign in with the other. It works but a drop down menu option like I have on MAC Mail, would be so very helpful.

Posted by: Connie Ricca (please don't use   |   April 16, 2007 4:57 PM    |   (3)

I was just in London and was hoping to access my webmail while there and I couldn't. Is there something I needed to do besides access it via the usual way I do here in the States? Thanks!

No, it is a public web site accessible from anywhere and any connection. If you were blocked it was being done at the other end.

Posted by: Beth Thurman   |   April 17, 2007 11:13 PM    |   (4)

I've tried everything to turn anything off that would block my automatic email addresses from popping up, but I cannot get them back. To the best of my knowledge, I have not turned anything off that was on. The automatic pop ups for addresses just stopped. If you can think of anything that you have not already told me, please do. Would calling someone on the phone give me a better chance of fixing this problem? Thanks, Email Guy for trying, but I am stumped.

Beth

Probably not. Before doing anything else, it would be a good idea to log in to your Web Mail account from another computer first, to be sure the issue is with that computer. I'm pretty sure you'll find out that it is.

Then you'll need to try turning off all antivirus and antispyware software on your computer, temporarily. And revert your browser settings to their default security level. Then if it works, you can start narrowing it down to what is blocking the feature from working. You could also try installing another browser, like Firefox for example, and see if that works, and it may help you narrow down the problem.

Posted by: Frank   |   April 18, 2007 10:45 AM    |   (5)

I have used earthlink web mail for years years and am a fan.

I also get a lot of spam.
For a number of reasons I use "With Known spam Blocking" only to block my spam. Sometimes this works very well, where I only have to clean out 10 or so spams in the morning. Other times it doesn't work well and I have to clean out over 100.

This seems to happen in cycles. Spam gets terrible and then it gets better, than a month or so later terrible - then better. Currently it is terrible.

Meanwhile "Known Spam" seems to be working through this. Though it seems to catch less spam on a per day basis it still shows that it is catching spam.

Why does this happen? Is is because of upgrades or other changes in your software? Is it because there are surges in the amount of spam on the Web?

I think of your spamcatcher as a levee that is holding back a tsunami of spam that some day will bury me, and sometimes there are leaks in the levy.

Thank you.

Your description is pretty accurate. It is a constant battle between spammers finding new ways to get around filters, and Internet providers finding new ways to block the new ways, ad infinitum. Spammers employ highly paid professional programmers (hackers) too. There is a FAQ about spam here with some more information.

Posted by: Carole   |   April 19, 2007 12:44 PM    |   (6)

Webamil has been down for 2 days now, for a few hours. An explanation and estimated recovery time would be helpful to your customers!!!

There have been no outages of Web Mail in April, other than a 1 hour planned downtime on April 10 in the middle of the night. Otherwise it has been up and has constant usage. I'd look elsewhere for the problem, or if you describe your symptoms I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Posted by: Francko   |   April 20, 2007 4:57 PM    |   (7)

hi email guy. I'd like to be able to add multiple spammers to my blocked domain list (as it stands now I can only do this on an individual email basis). I would also like to be able to see how large my blocked domain list is.

Finally, did you just decide not to launch the new webmail client? While I do see that some people have posted that they like this one, I find it very circa 1993....
proud IX.netcom.com member since before there was a netscape browser...

The Blocked Sender List is accessible by either clicking Preferences / Blocked Sender List or clicking spamBlocker / Blocked Sender List. You can edit it directly there. We're working on making the list easier to manage by sorting it and adding some new options.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   May 5, 2007 3:07 PM    |   (8)

Re.: problems with my address book being available when I forward or send

I had this problem for a while and eventually found the root of the problem: a defective modem that was showing it was connected but intermittently wasn't actually moving any data. I could reboot the external modem and it would work again for a while.

Eventually the modem got so bad I couldn't stand it. New modem = no more problem

The thing that clued me in: The progress indicator on my web browser was gyrating, but the progress bar was not filling up at all.

I've since realized that, due to using a very old slow computer (400 MHz), I need to wait until the progress indicator stops gyrating before I try to type any letters in the "To:" field. Usually that means waiting about 3 seconds (I have many hundreds of contacts in my address book). When I do that, it works every time.

I hope this helps.