« FIXED - Users still reporting trouble forwarding attachments     |   Back to MAIN   |     Email Guy on vacation »

News Preview coming soon to Web Mail ! - 04/09/07

Subject:       News Preview coming soon to Web Mail !
Date: April 9, 2007 11:32 AM

If you use myEarthLink you already know there is a handy Email Preview widget there that you can use to view the subject lines of recent messages arriving in your Inbox, and you can click them to go straight to that message in Web Mail. Well now we're going to do the same thing from our end, and allow you to view current news headlines in Web Mail, and you'll be able to click them to go straight to that news channel in your myEarthLink pages. All headlines are linked directly to the full story, which will open in a new window when clicked and not interrupt your Web Mail session.

news-preview-sm.gif

The News Preview is completely optional, and there's a handy link on the upper right that allows you to choose whether you want to view the news headlines first, or your Inbox list first when you log in to Web Mail. The new Preference setting is shown below.

news-preview-setting.gif

A new "News Headlines" link on the left also allows you to bring this view up in Web Mail any time you want to check it. The news feeds are updated every few minutes 24/7 and are always current.

This feature should debut in about 3 weeks. In this first release of the feature you won't yet be able to customize the selection of headline sources and we've chosen the two most popular ones. In a future release we plan to add some options to allow you to choose from among a variety of news categories to be displayed.

Posted by: RSLitman   |   April 9, 2007 6:16 PM    |   (1)

If "Web Mail" is still going to be called "Web Mail", I would hope that the Inbox would be the default, NOT the news headlines.

There are times in my life when I don't want to know what's going on in the world. I don't want to sign on to Web Mail on some such day in three weeks or so and see some headlines I was trying to bury my head in the sand and avoid. Please promise me that when this feature goes live, I will still see my Inbox first the next time I log on and will not have to go set an option to now see my Inbox first!

Posted by: Will   |   April 10, 2007 10:31 AM    |   (2)

I agree, the inbox should be the default for *webmail*, not news headlines.

Posted by: Tony   |   April 12, 2007 7:31 PM    |   (3)

How do I use my Anonymous e-mail addresses? Can I use them from my home computer diirectly? Or do I have to sign on to earthlink and use them from that remote weblocation?

That is a feature of Web Mail and can only be used in Web Mail. It can't be used with any other email software.

Posted by: Byron   |   April 30, 2007 11:24 AM    |   (4)

Imagine my surprise this morning when logging into WebMAIL only to wind-up in a parallel universe where I am taken to WebNEWS. Once I get out of the NEWS page (which I never opted in to, much less made default) I find that almost 5 months worth of mail is not there - newest message is dated Dec 09, 2006*.

I find it extremely presumptive of Earthink to change my default homepage view without any, much less sufficient, prior warning. Yes, I now see that it was mentioned in email guy's blog a few weeks ago but I haven't read the blog in at least a month so didn't know the change was coming. If such drastic changes are made in the future, I hope the end-user will be considered and notified before hand. Since lots of earthlink subscribers do not read the email guy blog, perhaps a note in a future issue of the earthlink newsletter or an administrative email from earthlink will be made before presumptive default changes are made for every earthlink subscriber.

* once I logged out after making the default WebMAIL view MAIL, not WebNEWS, and logged back in, the five months worth of messages were back - a bug in the system or just a one-off problem I do not know

The news is simple to turn off if you prefer not to view it. Click on "Choose my default view" on the right.

Posted by: jack   |   May 1, 2007 1:27 PM    |   (5)

i agree.. mail is mail. i just left a page that is filled with news. i often avoid the news, it is so often not "news" but promotion. my mail default should not have been changed for me. by the way, i did look at the prefs to turn off the news. i could not find it, but i'll go look again. thanks for trying, earthlink.net.. you do so well; this one is a miss. now, i will go make sure none of my mail is missing. no, wait, i just read byron's post (thank you bryon) i will wait to make sure there is no bug!

Posted by: John Hanecak   |   May 2, 2007 10:12 AM    |   (6)

I'll add my dislike about the lead in to a news headline after I have already had the news on my homepage.I would prefer the web mail be a web mail only page .Some things are better left alone.

Posted by: Patricia Wilson   |   May 2, 2007 12:10 PM    |   (7)

Please do away with the extra step to get to the inbox. When I sign in to check my email I don't want an extra step added to get there. Can I opt out of it?

Posted by: Jeff   |   May 2, 2007 6:36 PM    |   (8)

I'm very disappointed with Earthlink not only for its ill-advised changing of the default mail screen to news, but even moreso for its dismissive response to a customer. Earthlink's reply to Byron ignores his comments about customer treatment and basically says "this is the way it is-live with it" when it instructs him to go out of his way to set the initial view back to Inbox.

Byron was correct in pointing out that it would have been better for customers (and IMO, more respectful of customers) if Earthlink would have sent an advisory email to customers alerting them of the change to the default news view. As a minimum an email should have been sent to every Earthlink address which included instructions (and hopefully a link) on how to revert the view back to the Inbox rather than leave it up to the customer to discover how to eliminate the change if it is unwanted. Many customers will not realize how to get their Inbox back as their default view and will end up frustrated at having to put up with something they don;t like and don't know how to change.

Personally, I think that having the default set to news is a very bad idea. If I wanted news when I first logged in I would use the Earthlink tool designed for that - myEarthlink. It would be interesting to see Earthlink's rationale for making news, rather than the Inbox, the default Webmail screen and why customers were not informed up front how to change the initial screen back to their Inbox.

Posted by: Walter Krueger   |   May 3, 2007 1:15 AM    |   (9)

Why must I see the headlines? When I sign on to get mail, I want to get mail, NOT the news. This is an inconvenience!

Posted by: Anthony   |   May 3, 2007 1:38 PM    |   (10)

just bring back the original setting or Iwill cancelled it.

Posted by: Chris   |   May 10, 2007 6:43 PM    |   (11)

Good to see I'm not the only one upset that Earthlink decided FOR me that news would be what came up when I logged-in to check my e-mail. Bad business, that. As well as being presumptuous, rude, and inconsiderate. And then after deciding FOR me (hmm, thought I was paying Earthlink for a service...), it is on ME to change my default settings to un-do THEIR change. And this is customer service?

You want to REALLY do something useful for us? Fix things so I don't get 19+ cookies, Java-script errors, and advertisements that all cause it to hang up (on both a PC AND a MAC), forcing me to reload after deleting cookies or 'end-task'/'force-quit' my browser and launch it again to SIMPLY CHECK MY E-MAIL!!!

Posted by: keith wales   |   May 28, 2007 9:44 AM    |   (12)

So how do you turn off the "news" when using a mac? Seems like your forced to get the news as your default view in mac. I've tried turning off the news, but the option isn't available to mac users. I am truly considering a change due to this and NOT receiving so many of the features offered to PC users.

I heve other places to check headlines. I want my mail!

Using a Mac makes no difference at all, on this feature or others. If you are using a free email account, you do not have the option, as well as a number of other options and features that aren't available with free accounts.

Posted by: Irena McDowell   |   May 30, 2007 5:22 PM    |   (13)

I am not very proficient in my email use as yet. Pc's are still new tto me but my email worked very well before. Now however, forwarding fails ALL THE TIME. I get them sent to me from different rources and none can be forwarded anymore. They fall out of the usual box the minute I touch FORWARD!! Hope this will get fixed without me calling again for help!
A lot of the previous comments I have read happen to me too. So PLEASE FIX IT!!!