« Web Mail 5.15 released April 30     |   Back to MAIN   |     FIXED - Need more info on problem forwarding attachments »

FIXED - Problem with spell checker - 04/30/07

Subject:       FIXED - Problem with spell checker
Date: April 30, 2007 4:20 AM

( FIXED )

Users have reported that sometimes using the Spell Check is deleting the typed message.

We have been able to reproduce one scenario where this will occur, and it is a bug to be fixed. If you receive a plain text message, you click Reply (or Forward) and then you click "Color and Graphics" to change the message type, if you then use Spell Check the new text you entered will be deleted. In our testing if you simply reply and leave the message type as it was in the original (whether plain or html) then the problem doesn't occur.

If there are other scenarios where this problem occurs, please report them here.

Posted by: John Boyd   |   April 30, 2007 9:12 AM    |   (1)

I have had Spell Check delete the reply that I had typed without changing to Color-Graphics from a Plain text received message. I cannot remember if I had changed from a Color Graphics message to a Plain reply, but will check that option this morning.

John - if you are able to reproduce this please forward to me a message that had this behavior when you tried to reply to it. Use the "as attachment" option beside the forward button. Also in that email, provide me your browser name and version. Send the email to email-guy at earthlink dot net.

Note to others: that address only accepts messages I have specifically asked for in advance, and all others are immediately deleted.

Posted by: John Boyd   |   April 30, 2007 9:33 AM    |   (2)

I just clicked Reply to an e-mail that was Color and Graphics. Typed in 'tester', and clicked on Spell Check. Clicked Done on the spell check window, and the reply text had disappeared. I am using IE 6, in Windows XP.

Posted by: Steve   |   May 1, 2007 7:30 AM    |   (3)

Yesterday, 4/30/2007, I noticed that my older email (anything dated before 4/16/2007) was no longer in my inbox folder. This is very troubling. However, my storage space used remains the same as it was before my email disappeared. Is there still hope for reclaiming my email?
Thanks for any help or insight into this.

Steve

Check other email software running on your computer, and you will find the messages there. See this post for more information.

Posted by: Wilhelmine Harper   |   May 4, 2007 10:18 PM    |   (4)

as of this minute spell check is still not working (10:20 PM may 4, 2007

Posted by: Stephen   |   May 7, 2007 8:13 PM    |   (5)

I resolved the Forwarding problem by changing from INLINE TEXT to ATTACHMENT before clicking on Forward. Not a true solution, but it does work.

Posted by: Mylessa Nickelson   |   May 9, 2007 4:19 PM    |   (6)

The spell check feature is very unhelpful. There are times when I click on it, and the box appears and nothing happens, it appears that it is stuck, although there are typos I can see in the text. Also, its vocabulary seems very limited--when it meets a word it doesn't know, it just repeats it (mispelled) as a choice to change to. There are other times where I click on it, and the box appears, but it is empty and nothing happens--the text does not appear, nothing. I cancel out of it and try again, and it does it again.
Hope this helps.
Mylessa

Posted by: John M.   |   May 23, 2007 11:20 PM    |   (7)

I have written several long emails, via pushing the reply to message button, and at the end of the document pushed the spell check button and the email is gone forever. This has been happening for months, but I thought it was my computer. It is extremely frustrating when you're on a roll, and just want to get finished. Then when you are finally done and want to check all your mis-cues, click the're gone. I'm glad to find out that this an issue with Earthlink, and can't wait for it to be fixed.
John M

Posted by: Suzanne Bonnell   |   May 30, 2007 9:28 PM    |   (8)

This deletion problem does happen when you leave the test the same in your reply. I have had several reply messages deleted by using the spell check. What I have started to do if spell check is needed, I write it as a Word document then paste it into the reply e-mail.
Please do fix this issue as it would be greatly appreciated.
Suzanne

Posted by: Sylvia Reimonenq   |   June 10, 2007 12:07 PM    |   (9)

My messages do not contain graphics or color - either the original message or the outgoing message. The incoming message is set as in-line text. I simply hit reply, type my message and then go to Spell checker and the reply is lost, even though the original message is still there.

Windows XP
IE 7.x

Posted by: Byron   |   July 12, 2008 8:45 AM    |   (10)

This bug is still happening. Please get it fixed or delete the spell check option. I don't use it frequently but when I do and a reply composition disappears, I get very frustrated. If it was something I did I would berate myself but since it's a bug in the system, which has erroneously been reported as fixed, I'll berate your programmers. The most current vaporization of a reply that was spell checked was with Ubuntu 7.10 and Opera 9.27 but has also occurred using WIndows 2000 with Firefox and Opera9.25.

Posted by: Byron   |   March 29, 2010 9:25 PM    |   (11)

Still not fixed after being reported as so almost three years ago. Currently using Opera 9.64 on Ubuntu 8.10.

Composed a new message in plain text, ie didn't reply to a received message, went to spell check it, new window opened. Spell Check found one error and reported another error though it showed the correct spelling to be identical to what it found as an incorrect spelling, I clicked change then attempted to return to the compose window. At this point Spell Check/Webmail closed about a dozen open browser windows. Luckily I had copied the composition to a text editor. Not the first time spell check has closed ALL browser windows but it hasn't happened recently (then again I haven't used spell check in over a year). Either the bug wasn't fixed or it has returned. If it's an Opera/Webmail "not playing nice together" issue, please report that so I'll know not to ever use spell checker again.

Opera is not supported or tested by us, so some features probably don't work right. Opera has always done some things in a non-standard way and it doesn't work on all web sites.

Posted by: tony   |   June 29, 2010 3:40 PM    |   (12)

hi this is tony even i had text problem regarding spell check all ,but thanks to above comments its been sorted
thanks