« Web Mail 5.16 released May 30     |   Back to MAIN   |     Update on the Web Mail 5.16 release »

Fix for links in HTML emails - 05/30/07

Subject:       Fix for links in HTML emails
Date: May 30, 2007 9:57 PM

FIXED

The problem that began today with links in some HTML emails not being clickable, is fixed and being tested now. We should have the fix in production on Thursday afternoon.

Posted by: dale   |   May 31, 2007 9:34 AM    |   (1)

I do not like going to your home page since I have other addresses to check. Just takes away my time. How can I change this? I also do not like the ads on the side.

Posted by: Josephine Bryand   |   May 31, 2007 12:19 PM    |   (2)

The "side ads" you have in the e-mail section is very aggravating! Why can't you keep it on the top of the page instead? I would rather have a wider display of my e-mail, rather than what you created. I'm so disgusted with this "new" idea that I'm contemplating switching to another server, & my friends are also thinking of switching as well.

Why are you trying to "fix" something that's "not broken?" Unless you have Superman's vision, you'll have to squint in order to read the e-mails better.

Thank you!

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 31, 2007 1:37 PM    |   (3)

This is really an annoying problem. Was any serious testing done on the upgrades that caused this problem to be introduced? (I believe I can see what's happening by looking at the e-mail source.)

In a way I can sympathize, because I am responsible for an online proprietary (subscription-based) product that has to compete for technical time with many other (and higher profile) products that my company offers. I suppose the good news is that Earthlink is assigning developer resources to work on the Web Mail platform. But this seems like such a basic goof that a thorough review of the process of getting changes from development to production is warranted.

I also think there has been some very important feedback about why Earthlink should always (or almost always) introduce changes in user navigation (i.e., the decision to force people to the unwanted myEarthlink page on logout) with an opt-in/opt-out capability. I was relieved last year, for example, when Earthlink made it possible to stick with the "classic" web mail interface rather than being forced into the beta version of the (so-called) improved e-mail, which I found exasperating to use. I wish Earthlink would stop introducing changes in the manner of surprises and forced navigation.

My .02.

GB

Posted by: Scott S. from Philly   |   May 31, 2007 4:53 PM    |   (4)

I reported this problem via a Web chat with EarthLink tech support on May 30 at 11:30am. The tech (Kevin M) on the other end of the chat window had no idea that any change had happened to WebMail.

Here's a snippet of the conversation:

me: But within the message, I can't click on what should be a hyperlink.
me: I'm saying that something changed in the rendering engine in Web Mail within the last 24-36 hours.
Kevin M: No nothing has changed.
me: I find that really hard to believe.

My constructive criticism is that the front line techs don't seem to have access to system change logs for issues that may directly impact customers. Are changes like this contained within a searchable (keyword based) knowledge base? If techs do have access to such a resource, is there enough training on its use?

I also echo G Bryan's comments about the logout page. But that's for another blog thread.

Posted by: Rafael Perez   |   May 31, 2007 7:39 PM    |   (5)

how come all my e-mails have been erased and I am no longer getting new ones since this afternoon?

See this FAQ. Your messages were retrieved and deleted by other email software running on your computer (I confirmed this in your logs) and you will find the messages there.

Posted by: Ruben   |   May 31, 2007 10:02 PM    |   (6)

Okay, who messed with my webmail page, by placing advertisment on the side. Get this change fixed!

We need screen display space, and when I cross the ad to get to the side bar I don't like having the ad splashing upon my screen, where I have to reject the ad over and over again.

Posted by: ps56k   |   June 22, 2012 2:47 PM    |   (7)

when using Webmail and trying to paste a URL link to some website, the action is different between Firefox and IE.

IE - the URL is pasted into the message as a clickable link
Firefox - the URL is pasted as plain text, even though the message is Rich Text

It would help to have a LINK icon for pasting URLs - the "chain link" icon usually found in webmail editors that create the clickable URL addresses.

We're adding a way to do this with Firefox, and it should be in the next release.