« FIXED - Problem with spell checker     |   Back to MAIN   |     FIXED - Update on some outstanding problems »

FIXED - Need more info on problem forwarding attachments - 05/02/07

Subject:       FIXED - Need more info on problem forwarding attachments
Date: May 2, 2007 2:57 PM

( FIXED )

We are working on the problem where users attempt to re-forward attachments that had been forwarded to them, and the recipeint does not receive the attachment. In our testing, there appears to be very specific scenarios where this occurs, and I need your input to help us narrow this down for sure.

At this point the only scenario where we can reproduce this problem is as follows:

1. The message was forwarded to you from a Yahoo account. It was not an original message, but specifically was forwarded to you.
  2. The message you received contained the forwarded original message as an attachment. That is, you had to click an attachment link in the message you received, in order to see the original content.
  3. You then forward that message on to someone else, who does not receive the attachment.

So we need to know if there are other scenarios that cause the problem. Does it ever happen when you forward a message that was not sent to you from Yahoo? And if so, did the person who sent it to you get it from a Yahoo user? Does it ever happen when you forward a message that was NOT forwarded to you but was just an original message composed and sent to you by the sender?

Any information provided will be helpful, including confirmation of the above scenario. If the above is what happens to you, then comment and let me know. And if there is some other way to produce the problem, let me know that too. Please include your browser version and operating system.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 26-39 of 39

Posted by: Brent Battles   |   June 7, 2007 12:22 PM    |   (26)

I just went round and round with a chat session with absolutely no resolution. I send exactly the same attachment to a friend who is using one of my email accounts (in this case a pdf file I created - nothing forwarded) first within a text email message and then by itself. The first time no attachment showed up although the coded attachment is visible in "View Email Source" on the Web Mail Earthlink website page. The next time I sent it as a test message, no text - just the attachment - and the attachment shows up as "unknown-38k" just as expected on the Attachments line when viewed in Web Mail. I've been having the same problem for months and months, not just with forwards but with photos and other home-grown attachments. Very frustrating.

I don't think that is related to the forwarding issue. I'm guessing that you use Apple Mail to send email. There is a known problem when viewing messages from that software in Web Mail. Apple Mail uses an unusual and non-standard way of including attachments, and it isn't currently understood by Web Mail. We expect to have this fixed soon.

Posted by: Larry Black   |   June 8, 2007 10:17 PM    |   (27)

Here is more info for your consideration in repairing the forwarding problem. My attempts to help a fellow Earthlink user who is very frustrated have been to no avail. We have spent close to 50 hours experimenting to try to discover the causes or at least some commonality in his problems.

System: PC with Windows XP Professional & Microsoft Office 2003 Professional

The tests:
1. Creating an email with attachments in .bmp, .jpg and .doc formats. Send the email and it arrives correctly to my earthlink and my mindspring addresses, however these attachments sometimes do not arrive to a customer in China. (Very bad for his business.)

2. Forwarding an email with photos (jpegs) inserted into the body of the email. (Here is where it gets weird.)
a. From Outlook 2003 to earthlink... OK
b. From Outlook to mindspring, the pictures do not arrive. Only the text arrives. There is no indication that there ever was an insert.
c. The same message sent from Earthlink webmail to the same mindspring account as above... arrives intact with photos.

Unfortunately, the problem does not occur with all recipients or 100% of the time. None of the recipients use Apple Mail. All are PC users.

Another strange occurance. Photos (jpegs) received using Outlook 2003 and in the body of the message can't be saved as jpegs. The only format allowed is bitmap. However, using webmail, the photo can be saved as .bmp or .jpg.

Is there a possibility of a conflict between the new Microsoft Office and the new "improvements" in Earthlink mail?

The above just scratches the surface of all the tests we have done. Internet Options. Security settings. Attachmets. No attachments. You name it. We have tried them all with no success.

Glad to hear you are working on the problem, but will your solution be a complete one?

Posted by: Marion Kling   |   June 13, 2007 6:56 PM    |   (28)

I am getting a message that the "security" for the web mail has been revoked!! Whaaaaat?

This is a bug in your Norton security software, the certificate on Web Mail is fine. Norton has a fix for their bug here.

Posted by: Joseph Boucher   |   June 24, 2007 11:58 PM    |   (29)

I also have been having trouble getting attachments to forward in e-mails that I have received. These e-mails originate from many providers, not just yahoo. I have also noticed another problem that I have not had in the past and that is when I select many addresses to forward an e-mail to from my address book, the e-mail is only sent to the first person on the list. When I check the sent folder the only one to receive the e-mail was the first person I checked the box for on my address book. This has definately not been a problem in the past, just wanted to know if this problem has been brought to your attention by any one else?

The email is always sent to all addresses that appear on the address lines when you click Send, regardless of how you inserted them to the address lines (To/Cc/Bcc). The email will only be sent to addresses that appear on those lines before you click Send.

Posted by: Doug Beldon   |   June 28, 2007 1:34 AM    |   (30)

I been having the same problem not being able to forward attachments since the change what can i do to fix this its getting to become a big problem when will you get the problem fixed i wish you get this taken care of are go back to the old earthlink i didn't have any problems so i can't see the big improvement if you can do the things you want with your email. thanks

That fix is scheduled to release Monday, along with some other improvements.

Posted by: raynman   |   July 5, 2007 3:18 PM    |   (31)

I thought I'd chime in on this one as I'm having this specific forward issue.

Relative "A" sends an email with pictures attached to relative "B" who then forwards to the rest of the family. For the sake of this discussion I am relative "C" and am a recepient of this forward from "B". When I receive it, I can read the text but no attachment shows up for me yet all others on the distribution list receive everything just fine. I have had "B" send me an email directly from their address with a picture and I get the text and the attachment just fine. It's only when "B" forwards an attachment and it is unique to forwards from "B" that this happens. I have had serveral people forward me pictures from various domains and they have all come through just fine. Can you advise?

As of 7/6 with release 5.16.3 this should be fixed. At the time you commented it wasn't fixed, but my response is delayed.

Posted by: scott blankenship   |   July 10, 2007 1:55 PM    |   (32)

My problem is that I cannot send an attachment to a friend of mine who has mindspring. Not a forwared attachment, just straight from me. He gets the message, but there is no attachment? Is it my end or his? Thanks

What software are you both using for your email (if not EarthLink Web Mail)? Please provide details and I'll try to investigate. You might also test this with other people you correspond with, to narrow down the problem.

Posted by: Judy Stevens   |   August 21, 2007 6:32 PM    |   (33)

I don't see this issue addressed so far ... using WebMail, is it possible to insert a jpeg into the body of the email? I receive them frequently, but can't see to make it work for me.

I've tried two ways:

1) uploading the jpeg to my own web page and using the html insert image command -- (img src=)

2) saving the same image to my computer and using the same command -- (img src=)

Thanks for your assistance.

Judy

No, adding inline images in a new Web Mail message is not supported. That feature will be added in an upcoming release. You cannot manually put HTML formatting tags in messages, even after we add the image feature. They will simply be converted to text.

Posted by: Cherokee   |   September 13, 2007 11:29 PM    |   (34)

I revceive a lot of forwards from an AOL account. when the attachment is opened, I may have to open a couple more attachments which were forwarded to those people. When I get to the one that has the photos, I then click forward and forward the last e-mail thus skipping all the "Junk" forwards. Most of the time the forward ends up with red X instead of pics.

Posted by: Gray Tuthill   |   October 3, 2007 1:58 PM    |   (35)

Version 5.5 helps a lot and will not comment about delete vs spam. Forward still presents a problem to me. One, I am not sure I understand exacctly what each means and when to use one vs the other. Second, Sounds like you think that if want to forward an attachment, whether a text email or one with pictures, that I should save it and then start with a fresh email. However, if the original email has a combination of text and pictures I always seem to lose the picture. In reading your notes it seems that sometimes you claim it is fixed and at other time it sounds like you are still working on it. All I know is that I still have problems when ever the latter is involved. What do I do as not really sure if ,and/or how to save this last email so you could start fresh again

Posted by: Sudheesh   |   June 10, 2008 2:56 AM    |   (36)

(10-06-08)
i am also having the same problem, when i tried to forward mails from my inbox, only the text is getting forwarded, the pictures are not going along with it..though i can see the images in my inbox. i tried in yahoo, gmail, different ids, also i tried mac, pc and symbian phones...the problem is same everywhere. can u please give a solution for this? its really frustrating for us.
hoping for a speedy reply,
thanks in advance.

Use the "As attachment" forwarding option.

See the FAQ for more.

Posted by: Katy Butler   |   June 20, 2008 8:29 PM    |   (37)

I am not getting attachments sent direct to me from a printing company. (I don't know if they're PDFs or JPGs or what.)
In the past, when I used Earthlink plus Entourage Dial-Up, I did get visual/graphic attachments fine.
I have no problem getting WORD documents sent as attachments.
I use EArthlink webmail direct -- don't use an interface such as Mac Mail as far as I know. Just go direct to the earthlink website.
I use a MAC at both home and business. When I get the email, there is no little icon indicating that an attachment is attached.
However, when i inadvertently used my old Entourage program (I can no longer send from that program)
I could see the attachment and open it.
But I can't use Entourage on a regular basis, as I now hitchike off my partner's DSL at home (he has AOL) and my office mate's DSL at work.
Any way to fix this?`
Thank you.

Katy Butler

They are probably sending them using Mac Mail. See this FAQ for help.

Posted by: Kathy Bowers   |   December 9, 2010 5:05 PM    |   (38)

Any e-mails or forwarded e-mails sent to me with pictures, the pictures will not show up. The box where the picture should be is blank with a small red "x" in the upper left corner. I tried clicking on the "x" but nothing. This has been going on for a couple of months. PLEASE FIX IT!!!!!

Posted by: Terry Wickre   |   February 9, 2011 4:46 PM    |   (39)

I believe the Earthlink htm or html attachments problem is related to the combination of Windows 7 and Yahoo mail. I can receive attachment pictures from all others sending them. A friend of mine went to Yahoo for his mail program and has Windows 7, and I cannot download them. I have tried to save them, and then tried to open them in Expression Web, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Microsoft Digital Image Editor and Word to no avail.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 26-39 of 39