« FIXED - Need more info on problem forwarding attachments     |   Back to MAIN   |     Web Mail 5.16 released May 30 »

FIXED - Update on some outstanding problems - 05/15/07

Subject:       FIXED - Update on some outstanding problems
Date: May 15, 2007 9:49 PM

( FIXED )

Some Web Mail problems that were introduced recently are close to being fixed. The two big ones in particular are:

• Forwarding attachments fails for some messages and the recipient doesn't receive the attachment.
  • Sometimes the spell-check is deleting new text on a reply.
We have a release coming in the first week of June that is already going through testing, and it has some welcome changes and fixes (more on that soon) but it does not include these two fixes. The fix for these has been developed and should be in the very next release cycle after that, which should also be in June. That are a number of other minor bug fixes that will be included in that second June release, which will be described here when we do the release.

Your feedback and information has been essential to finding and fixing these problems. Thanks to everyone who provided information that helped us find the trouble. And thanks for your patience waiting for them to be fixed.

Posted by: bretta Lundell   |   May 16, 2007 2:26 PM    |   (1)

I cannot seem to write any messages at this time. I can access and read my email through your website but I can't write anything. I cannot reply....Could you tell me what is going on? This has never happened before. It just happened. I was writing email without any problems earlier today...I will keep trying to write but in the meantime, could you please let me know what is going on?

Try deleting the temporary files in your browser settings (called cache in some browsers) and restart your computer. If that doesn't help, see this post for more suggestions.

Posted by: Hal Smith   |   May 17, 2007 8:49 AM    |   (2)

None of my forwarded attachments get through.
The service is not available on frequent ocassions.
It is very slow at times.
The delete process is confusing.

Posted by: Frustrated   |   May 23, 2007 6:38 PM    |   (3)

Are you kidding. Just a little bug. I wrote some very time consumming emails to people only to have them erased because I attempted to use spell check. This is no small bug. You need to notify your paying customers this problem exists so they can save their important work in a file!!!!!
By the way, this just randomly started to erase my emails.

Thank you .
Frustrated writer.

Posted by: R. Hill   |   May 28, 2007 7:03 PM    |   (4)

I am also very frustrated with your email service. I have had the same problem with forwarding emails, but was not able to find a place to complain to. The place that supposedly was going to take my complaint, rejected me at the last minute, saying that it could not respond to that question. I did not try live chat help, because in the past they have been of NOOOOOOOO use to me. Please put some more places to complain.

Also, you have some vary serious competition in my area from RoadRunner, so I hope you get your problems fixed soon, otherwise, I will just switch service.

I agree with the other bloggers, this is no small problem.

Posted by: gayestephens   |   May 29, 2007 8:44 PM    |   (5)

I have not been able to forward an email for several months.I called earthlink and the gentleman said that I needed to send every forward as an attachmentment,yet others still do not receive.This is very embarrassing.Do I need to upgrade my service with earthlink or maybe switch to another email provider?I really would hate to change my email address since it is my business address.I'm tired of waiting......Why can't I hit the forward button like my friends????

You'll be glad to know we have fixed the problem of forwarding attached files, and that fix should go live within 2-3 weeks. Thanks for your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Posted by: james morton   |   June 4, 2007 9:05 PM    |   (6)

Your attachment loss is an old problem. do not understand why it is taking so long to fix. You should work more on the detail and not the flash. The basics must work. Loosing attachments is a very basic service.

Yes, the problem started in March and took a while to figure it out and fix it. It has now been fixed and will be released to production this month. I apologize for the delay.

Posted by: George Fayett   |   June 16, 2007 11:13 PM    |   (7)

I'm joining the ranks of unhappy users who can't get the reply or forward attachments to work. I tried to contact tech support several times and gave up waiting for an acknowledgment of my request for help. My scanner only works with IE 5 so I have to stick with the old browser.

There isn't any known problem with replying to messages, only with forwarding attachments. That will be fixed shortly. If you have a problem replying to messages, maybe this will help.

Note that IE5 is not supported at all and a number of features will not work with that browser. You must have at least IE 5.5 (or some other browser) to use all features of Web Mail. You could keep your IE5 for your scanner and also install Firefox for web browsing, which will help you on Web Mail and other sites that don't support old browsers.

Posted by: Bella   |   June 23, 2007 2:43 PM    |   (8)

Hello,
I would like you to add a feature which my husband's e-mail (Yahoo) already has. This is the ability to 'mark a messge as unread', even if you've just read it. This feature is very important; Yahoo mail has had it for years and it really is very valuable. Or, do we already have this feature and I am unaware of it?

Thanks for responding this request for help.

If you have the Message Preview turned off, then you can mark a message unread by using the "Mark Unread" link at the upper right of the message view. Currently you cannot use this feature with preview enabled.

Posted by: marianne nevins   |   September 10, 2007 11:35 AM    |   (9)

You said that the problem of not being able to send attachments has been fixed but my receivers of my e-mails with attachment - still do not get the attachments.????????

Posted by: Byron   |   July 12, 2008 8:32 AM    |   (10)

The "bug" of spell check deleting the new text when replying to a message is still happening.
According to your original post, this was fixed 14 months ago and was to be put in effect 13 months ago. If it has been implemented, why does the problem still exist?

You'll find more specifics in comments I just lkeft using the feedback form.

Posted by: Michael Squires   |   July 19, 2010 2:42 PM    |   (11)

Hi. All attachements on my Webmail account are arriving in my inbox as .dat files that are un openable. Please help. Thanks.

Posted by: George Upham   |   August 4, 2010 1:36 PM    |   (12)

I have two accounts. I can find no way to switch from on to the other (as I could in Hotmail) without signing in again with the second address. The shortcut which I set up for each account separately always brings me back to the last one, and I have to sign in again to get the account I want. This is VERY inconvenient.

Posted by: Tommy Flynn   |   September 12, 2012 2:43 PM    |   (13)

How do you mark an email message as unread in Earthlink Web Mail?

Turn off the preview feature by clicking the Hide Preview button at the upper right (if it is on), then click the message to view it. Click Actions / Mark Unread. With the preview enabled there is no way to do it.