« Fix for links in HTML emails     |   Back to MAIN   |     Web Mail 5.16.3 released July 6 »

Update on the Web Mail 5.16 release - 05/31/07

Subject:       Update on the Web Mail 5.16 release
Date: May 31, 2007 4:20 PM

A couple updates:

First, and most importantly, we're listening to your feedback. Lots of people voiced an opinion about the new logout destination being inconvenient for them or otherwise undesirable. So we're adding an option to allow you to control that. If you want to have the old behavior of returning to the login page, you'll be able to do that. That option should be ready sometime in June. Thanks to everyone who commented on the change.

Secondly, we have fixed the issue that started yesterday, where links in some HTML emails were not clickable. That should now be be working again in all cases. Let me know if any problems remain.

And lastly, there are a couple other changes on the horizon that affect the impact of advertisements when using Web Mail. The change to the ad position yesterday got a mixed reaction, with some users liking it and some not. In Web Mail 6.0 (see preview here) you will have the ability to hide the left panel and gain a lot of horizontal real estate for your Inbox content. That recovers any width lost to the new ad position, and then some. And yes, I can confirm now that we will have an upgrade option in a few months that will provide an ad-free Web Mail. Look for more information on that later.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 51-67 of 67

Posted by: Ric   |   June 25, 2007 11:25 AM    |   (51)

thanks for allowing us the choice for log out destination. when will this option be available..... it is now the 25th of June

We have the change made and the build is in testing. There are a number of important bug fixes in this build also, and our test cycles will take at least this week. That might put us out past the holiday and into the second week of July, depending on whether anything comes up in testing.

Posted by: Suzanne   |   June 25, 2007 4:32 PM    |   (52)

I'd like the vertical ad to be horizontal again or better yet, disappear. Removing the useful left panel is not the answer.

No one is talking about removing the left panel. Rather, the task links in there, and everything that isn't a folder, is being moved to a toolbar on top (see the preview in Plans). And then only folders will be left there, with nothing else in the left panel. And then, like most other email programs, you will have a toggle to hide/show the "folder" panel. Usually most users are looking at the Inbox only. But if you use other folders, the link will be in the left panel like always. and you'll have the ability to toggle that panel hidden or not with a single click.

Posted by: Byron   |   June 26, 2007 12:08 PM    |   (53)

Just read all the comments and didn't see anyone mention what may be the easiest "fix" to the logout to earthlinkthewaywewantyoutouseit page. In your browser's options, set the home page to the webmail sign in page. Then when you get done reading one account, just click the icon for your homepage and the login page should appear either in a new tab or a new window (depending on which browser you use and how you have it customized). No more Earthlink'sWay page.

A question about the soon to be introduced toggling of the folders panel: when this feature is rolled-out and a user toggles the panel off, will the subject area be increased back to the width it used to be? Or will the extra screen space be allocated to the vertical ad or the blank space that appears if the ads are blocked?

The subject column will gain the space. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: DP   |   June 26, 2007 7:22 PM    |   (54)

OK. Still putting up with being re-directed to my.earthlink.net and am pretty fed up with this!!!

When you allow my family to check our email when we wish. This feature is useless. I think this is only to regester hits on my.earthlink.net!!!!

Posted by: DP   |   June 26, 2007 7:28 PM    |   (55)

I'd like to reiterate that the vertical ad to be horizontal again or better yet, disappear. Removing the useful left panel is not the answer. This is really annoying!

Posted by: JimK   |   June 27, 2007 9:27 AM    |   (56)

You said, "we will have an upgrade option in a few months that will provide an ad-free Web Mail." Great. The paranoid in me attaches an invisible "for an extra charge" to the phrase "upgrade option." Am I correct/

Posted by: David J Dachtera   |   June 27, 2007 10:13 AM    |   (57)

So, your current message indicates that the e-mail logout problem (goes to the wrong page) will be fixed sometime in June. Today is 27-Jun-2007. How's it coming along?

D.J.D.

Posted by: hb   |   June 27, 2007 12:14 PM    |   (58)

So- June is almost over. When will this earthlink page disappear?

A new preference option to allow you to set that to the old behavior if you wish, is available in the upcoming release, along with some other changes and bug fixes. Right now it looks like we will release it Monday, but depending on how the testing goes it could be a few more days.

Posted by: tc   |   June 27, 2007 3:37 PM    |   (59)

I continue to think that the new preference option should be the for new behavior, the traditional behavior should return as the default. This is the way it should have been done to start with, introduce that new behavior as an option that folks could have chosen to use on their individual email accounts.

Posted by: Franadora   |   July 1, 2007 2:21 PM    |   (60)

Count me as one more who is annoyed at ads in what I consider part of my paid for subscription. I only began using WebMail as a way of prescreening for SP*M, and found it also a good way to quickly check my email from work or while traveling.

As a result, I delete a lot of chaff from mailing lists or short term items then download the remaining messages about once a week into Thunderbird where I sort and filter. I receive at two addresses, the older ones was getting lots of annoying spam; but now I see much much fewer [THANK YOU!]; I still use that primarily for mailing lists and new subscriptions while I find out how much to trust the source.

I do have several strong suggestions about the ads if we MUST have ads. At least give us the ability to opt out of moving or blinking ads. Any movement at all is distracting me from the primary purpose of the site - and it should be your goal as well to facilitate the primary purpose. [I hope you get extra money for those active ones!]

Additionally, please, don't ever allow any ad to move outside its frame. I've seen that technology on other websites where the ad appears overlaid over the text until you close the 'window'. That is so unacceptable! Keep them out of our face.

Hey - any talk of getting filters Webmail?

We do not allow floating or popup ads, and won't. Yes, we are planning to add user-defined filtering to Web Mail in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: Vikki   |   July 5, 2007 11:14 AM    |   (61)

I like the ads appearing on the side.

Posted by: nihilix   |   July 5, 2007 7:28 PM    |   (62)

I've tried to contact liveperson, and not gotten anywhere -

I work for a church-affiliated second hand store, and use my earthlink webmail for work purposes.

I don't want to see Victoria's Secret models on my screen at work.

I strongly suspect that somewhere some adsensor decided I was male and needed to see that. You need to have a 'G rated' ad option somewhere.

I don't want my 80 year old church ladies to come in and ask me a question and get bikini babes staring at them.

Posted by: liz   |   July 6, 2007 4:14 PM    |   (63)

Oh! Thank you! Thank you! For 5.16.3 with option to choose Sign-out Destination. I s-o-o-o appreciate being able to sign-out and arrive at WebMail Sign-in Page (and not myearthlink start page). (I've already been enjoying option to choose InBox and not News-topper.)

Posted by: George   |   July 8, 2007 3:08 PM    |   (64)

I use two Macs- a desktop unit with a 20 inch theater style monitor, and an iBook with a screen that is not that wide. Moving the ads that were once on the top of web mail page, to the right side, has resulted in a "squashed-together" feeling on that iBook. It's all too tight and confining. Overall, I like the new MyEarthLink page, which is so much better than the old version. I really do not like the "lay-over" page which you are forced to stop at when going to web mail, just to see the news headlines again. it's a waste of a user's time. Once I sign in with my password, I want to go directly to my mail, with zero delays. Thanks for listening.

Click Preferences / Web Mail Options and you can turn off the news preview and go straight to the Inbox on login.

Posted by: Jdouglas   |   July 10, 2007 7:29 PM    |   (65)

Sounds like 6.0 will have some nice improvements... But I cannot understand why EL insists on spamming us with ads in webmail. I pay 40+ dollars a month for EL service and I am insulted every time I access my email.

So I hear I will be soon offered an "upgrade" to get rid of the ads. No doubt you will make us pay for that and I think this is a crime! Is EL so much in debt that they cannot provide their paying customers with the respect of ad free web mail?

I have been a EL customer since the early 90s and I am mostly very happy with EL's service and support, but this ad thing (along with ELs association with DoubleClick) should be stopped.

Posted by: Carol   |   August 11, 2007 12:34 AM    |   (66)

Has the word wrapping problem been fixed yet? (I'm referring to the fact that lines in messages haven't been wrapping properly since you moved the ad banner to the right-hand column.) This has been annoying for some time. According to your response to a question in mid-June, a fix was to be made shortly. If not yet, when?

A new problem has arisen today -- the annoying flashing of banner ad for a free "Best Buy Gift Card." Please do not permit such distracting advertisements in the future.

On that ad, I've had a number of complaints about it and I've been trying to spot it to have it taken out of the rotation. Since these come from an agency, I have to identify the specific URL of the ad in question. I'll keep watching.

We did make a fix to text wrapping in the preview pane. Please give me more details of the circumstances, and also your screen resolution, browser version, and whether the browser is maximixed.

Posted by: Irl Smith   |   March 25, 2008 12:13 PM    |   (67)

I have several email accounts with Earthlink. I would like to have a browser window open simultaneously in each of them. But if I have a window open to one account, and then open a new tab or window and navigate to Webmail and log in with another account, the first window becomes logged in to that account (and updates to the second account when I refresh it).
Is there some way to fix this?
I note in a posting by you that you hope to have a dropdown list for account switching, but I'd actually rather have separate tabs or windows.

The only way you can have two Web Mail accounts open at one time is to use different browsers for them. That is, one account opened in IE, and another in Firefox, for example. The reason is that your live session (login) is kept open by a session cookie in the browser, and browsers share cookies among all windows or tabs. Most web sites that require you to log in will have this same behavior.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 51-67 of 67