« Email Guy back from vacation, getting to your comments     |   Back to MAIN   |     Setting your default login and logout page »

FIXED - Buttons not visible on older IE browsers - 07/10/07

Subject:       FIXED - Buttons not visible on older IE browsers
Date: July 10, 2007 10:57 PM

( FIXED )

With the release of Web Mail 5.16.3 we have found a bug that only affects users of Internet Explorer 5.5 or older.

We still try to fully support IE 5.5, but be aware that we no longer test or support IE 5.0. If you are using IE 5.5 you may have a problem with buttons not being visible, including the "Sign In" button on the login page. This will be fixed soon. I apologize for the inconvenience.

If you are using an operating system that can take the upgrade to IE 6.0, that will fix the problem too. And if you can run Firefox or Netscape (at least temporarily), those browsers do not have the problem.

Posted by: Loreto Kingsley   |   July 11, 2007 9:32 AM    |   (1)

Sir. Would you know how i might change my pass word? If so, could you please tell me how to do that. Thank you.

Click on My Account at the top of any page, and log in there to manage your account, including changing the password.

Posted by: george f dilworth   |   July 12, 2007 11:48 AM    |   (2)

Why when I log on am I greeted as GAELAN DONOHUE?
prefer my own name.

Answered here and here already. This is your third time asking, so I hope you see the response this time.

Posted by: Argle J. Bargle   |   July 13, 2007 6:34 PM    |   (3)

Your tech support people don't know about this problem. I called them last night and they disavowed all knowledge of any problems with webmail buttons. Not only that, they said there hadn't been any upgrades recently. Left hand, meet right hand.

Posted by: Bosco   |   July 15, 2007 2:55 PM    |   (4)

Hello, Email Guy - any ETA on the button not visible for older Windows issue?

TIA

About a week. In the meantime you can just hit the Enter key on the login page and log in that way without the button.

Posted by: Bosco   |   July 17, 2007 4:40 AM    |   (5)

Thanks. FWIW, I had no problem logging in to webmail. It was the lack of button in the email isting panel, such as the "delete" or "this is spam" button, or maybe a "move" button to go with the pull down "to folder" menu, that has prevented me from deleting the junk mails without opening them.

Thanks again

Posted by: Gail Higgins   |   July 18, 2007 12:36 AM    |   (6)

I have been having problems with webmail since they switched to 5.16 (all versions). Between my husband and I, we use five different computers throughout the day. At home we have two xp (sp2) computers with IE7. On one computer on a email today, webmail would not let me put in and address when I tried to forward the email. On a second email it would not let me put any text into the message box wehn trying to reply. We have never had a problem like this until today on this computer. On our second xp computer (older) I was able to perform all these operations. On our work computers, which are at three different locations on three different networks, my husbands newer xp (sp2) with IE7 had problems putting addresses into the reply box. On one of my computers win 2000 (SP4) with IE6, the buttons are missing from the emails when I try to send or reply. On my other work computer (second job) win 2000 (sp4) with IE6 I was not able to put text into the message box in a reply. On these 2000 computers, I have been having problems of one sort or another for about two weeks.

Hope you can help us.

I don't think the problem typing replies is related to a change in Web Mail, I think it is related to a change in your anti-virus or security software. See this article for some help on that. Banner blockers in particular can cause this problem.

The button issue will be resolved in about a week, but I'm surprised to hear that it occurred on IE6. Try doing the windows update on that browser and see if it helps.

Posted by: Bosco   |   July 18, 2007 10:25 PM    |   (7)

Hello Email Guy - upon re-reading my previous post, I was not precise. I thought I would give the tech folks a bit more information in the hope they will resolve the problems in one fell scoop.

The buttons were also not visible when the individual email was opened. That is to say, the emails cannot be deleted at both the listing or individual email levels. Actually, even the reply button was also invisible when the individual email was opened. The net effects are that one can only read the listing or individual emails but other functions, including deletion, forwarding and replying, are available. Somehow, the "this is spam" function is available at the email level but not at the listing level

Thanks

Posted by: JILL M PENC   |   July 19, 2007 7:29 AM    |   (8)

I as well called contacted Earthlink in regards to this matter while E-mail guy was on vacation...I went through LIVE CHAT & the rep was clueless in regards to this button problem...I have a copy of this chat which proved quite frustrating & couldn't wait for E-mail Guy to return from vacation...I will post this chat immediately after posting this comment...

Posted by: Argle J. Bargle   |   July 21, 2007 7:10 PM    |   (9)

The buttons are still "there," but they appear as very thin vertical lines. They can be clicked on if the mouse is positioned just right, and will function as normal. Having said that, how hard is it to make a button jpg with some html code attached to it? How could an "upgrade" break something as basic as that? Maybe if you gave up the JavaBeans and the Flash and the SilverLight or whatever the flavor of the month is for your newly graduated programmers, you could get back to good old fashioned functionality instead of flash and crash.

Web Mail only uses very plain HTML and none of the stuff you mention, or anything like it. To support seven-year-old browsers, we must do special things since more modern HTML standards are not all supported. A style definition that is only needed to support old browsers was inadvertently left out of the last build. The button problem will be fixed soon by putting this back.

That said, don't expect us to support IE 5.5 indefinitely. I don't expect we'll continue to support it at all beyond this year.

Posted by: Rose   |   July 26, 2007 11:25 AM    |   (10)

I'm having trouble opening my EMail -when I click the
inbox-I get the message error 3171 has occurred-what
is this and how do I correct it? I do have an older
computer with IE 5-is that the problem? Thanks for any
suggestions you can give me.

IE5 is not supported. You need to upgrade to at least IE 5.5, by downloading it from Microsoft. If you have Windows 98 SE or later, you can upgrade to IE6.