« Update on the Web Mail 5.16 release     |   Back to MAIN   |     Email Guy back from vacation, getting to your comments »

Web Mail 5.16.3 released July 6 - 07/07/07

Subject:       Web Mail 5.16.3 released July 6
Date: July 7, 2007 3:42 PM

I'm on vacation and will publish and respond to your comments when I return. On Friday morning 7/6 a new release of Web Mail was put into production, labeled version 5.16.3.

This release has a number of important bug fixes and a couple feature changes. The main new feature is the addition of a new Preference for setting your Sign-out destination. The default will continue to be the myEarthLink page as it is now, but you will be able to choose the setting to return to the Login page. This will be particularly useful for users who check multiple email accounts, to avoid extra steps. To change the setting, click Preferences, Web Mail Options.

Other than that, this release has the following bug fixes:

• Forwarding attached files will now work properly.

• The bug where the spell checker would occasionally delete the message text, is fixed.

• The preview pane will now properly wrap text to the window and won't require a horizontal scroll if the content can be wrapped.

• Sorting the message list by the Sender column is fixed.

• The character limit for entering on the Bcc line has been removed. Note that there is still a limit of 100 recipients for Web Mail, in any combination of To/Cc/Bcc.

• You can now send a message out with the To line blank, as long as there is an address on one of the address lines (Cc or Bcc).

• Fixed the layout problem caused by long folder names displayed in the folder list drop-down for the Move messages feature.

• The spell-check dictionary has been updated and greatly expanded to include many more words. At the same time, we removed a few vulgar words from the dictionary that had been there before.

There are also some fixes that affect certain MIME types that didn't get displayed correctly by Web Mail, and in particular file attachments sent from Apple Mail should now be received properly.

Posted by: Cameron   |   July 6, 2007 11:45 AM    |   (1)

While I am glad that the problem with the log out destination has been fixed, that option should have been implemented at the same time the original feature was added. I am aware that you were not personally responsible for it, but a lot of problems could have been prevented earlier than this.

I hope the powers that be take note of it the next time they try to push something like this on us.

Posted by: Je   |   July 6, 2007 3:30 PM    |   (2)

Thank you!!! Such little things mean so much. :)) Happy Camper now.

And I really like how much faster it is ..... Cheers.

Posted by: Je   |   July 6, 2007 3:31 PM    |   (3)

Thank you!!! Such little things mean so much. :)) Happy Camper now.

And I really like how much faster it is ..... Cheers.

P.S. Last night I was not getting the 6/28 post. I only had the 5/31 post.

Posted by: Lucy Fein   |   July 6, 2007 7:38 PM    |   (4)

After a computer hard drive crash, we re-activated the two user e-mail addresses for our computer. My Earthlink Webmail, for some reason, began to accumulate all e-mail messages - this without my knowledge, as my user account on my computer was working fine for both receiving and sending. Early in June, Earthlink sent me a message that my account was near quota, I then deleted all unnecessary stored e-mails in my computer, however, Webmail continued to accumulate e-mail (without my knowedge, as webmail is a tool I use only when on vacation). Then in mid June, my user account on my computer stopped receiving e-mail messages and it was then that I found out that my Webmail had 861 messages stored on it going back to March 2007. And it was full to capacity. Presently, Webmail is unavailable to me as is my e-mail user account on my computer. My question is about webmail accumulating messages. Not certain how it works, but isn't it suppose to delete messages as the user account deletes them? How does this work? Does this happen often? To many users? I have called Tech Support and been told that my case is being worked on, but I'm curious as to how Webmail works. Thanks so much for your response.

You have your email software on your computer set to "Leave messages on server". Change that in the account settings in that software, and it will delete them when it retrieves them. Web Mail doesn't delete any messages automatically. You should read this FAQ to understand how they both work.

Posted by: Diahna Hill   |   July 7, 2007 1:59 PM    |   (5)

Okay pretty much the only thing I would like to see added to Web Mail is the ability to get receipts when you send a message. I understand that you can get them from Total Access but I am not always at home when I send e-mail. Actually 9 times out of 10 I use my PDA or and alternate computer and go thru Web Mail because it is more convienent for me so a Receipts option is something I definately would like to see.

Posted by: Dr. G.W. Ko   |   July 7, 2007 6:22 PM    |   (6)

What about the advertisements on our webmail page. When will we have the option to shut them all off. I am certainly with many of the other subscribers to earthlink webmail and do not want to pay for a mail server service and constantly be flashed with advertisement that I find extremely annoying and distractive. I for one want it shut off of provide me the option to turn it off. Enough is enough with this forcing things down our throats.

I do have to say thank you for providing us the option to return to our login page and not the earthlink.net page

Why did that take so long as I know for a fact that it is a very simple programming task?

Posted by: Lacy Bullard   |   July 8, 2007 1:17 PM    |   (7)

I'm sorry to see that the new version doesn't provide any help for us folks with vision problems. Several friends had told me I wouldn't like webmail for that reason, and it looks as if I'll have to change, although I don't want to after all this time.

You told me a couple of months ago that I couldn't change the style of plain text messages from the (light and very spidery) default'.

At this point, if the message is more than a couple of lines, my only option is to copy the text into a word pad doc and manipulate the font.

Are there still no options with Earthlink?

Posted by: Israel   |   July 8, 2007 1:17 PM    |   (8)

Mazel Tov!

Please, please, from now on, when you make a change like this, as a matter of course, include a way to switch back to the old setting. We'll all be very grateful, and you'll have one less headache and a lot less complaints to worry about.

Posted by: Steve   |   July 8, 2007 4:07 PM    |   (9)

Thanks for the log out change; those of us with half a dozen email addresses appreciate it! Now, if we could just get rid of the ads (or at least be able to move them up top.....)

Posted by: Barbara Katz   |   July 9, 2007 10:29 AM    |   (10)

Thank you SOOOOO much for adding the return to login page to the signout preferences.
Barbara

Posted by: Ed   |   July 9, 2007 12:42 PM    |   (11)

Thank you for finally allowing me to go back to the login page when I log out. It is much appreciated.

Posted by: george f dilworth   |   July 9, 2007 2:59 PM    |   (12)

why, when I open my E-Mail I am addressed as galen donohue?

Click Preferences / Web Mail Options and edit the From name there at the bottom of the page. Evidently you got a previously used address with the settings not properly cleared out.

Posted by: Conrad   |   July 9, 2007 7:18 PM    |   (13)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for enabling the return to the sign-in page upon logout! Sure saves me time and frustration. Now I'm looking forward to the ability to set Font preferences for outbound email. That will certainly make my day!

Posted by: Sue   |   July 9, 2007 8:57 PM    |   (14)

Thank you for changing the sign out destination back. It was really inconvenient, but I didn't complain since I saw that others had already done that. I am concerned about the ads on the side. Scrolling to read the rest of the message is not convenient. Please, please move the ads to the top. We saw the ads just fine in that location. Thanks.

Posted by: Justin   |   July 10, 2007 11:23 AM    |   (15)

I just noticed this post and went to check, but am still getting Webmail 5.16.2 according to the banner at the bottom, and don't see the log-out default destination option anywhere. Did 5.16.3 get pulled, or is something goofy going on with my account to not see the newer version?

This isn't an issue with your account, but probably is your browser holding on to the older local copy in your cache. You may have your browser cache settings adjusted to not check for updates on each visit to a site. You can either change that setting, or just delete your browser cache (temporary internet files) then restart the browser, and you will see the new version.

Posted by: Justin   |   July 11, 2007 7:45 PM    |   (16)

Thanks, it did clear up. I didn't realise the Webmail app would end up getting cached (especially a page like settings which I rarely go to). Good to see the option to just go back to the login screen. Thanks!

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 12, 2007 4:00 PM    |   (17)

Hello, e-Mail Guy!

re.: browser holding on to the older local copy in your cache

Using Firefox 2.0.0.4, I too had this problem. Firefox doesn't seem to offer a control to "always check for updates on each visit to a site" (at any rate I can't find one). Perhaps others may benefit from this:

As an expedient, first try just clicking the "Reload" (Reload current page) button. Often this does the trick. If it doesn't help, blowing out the cache, as you well know, certainly will.

Firefox's cache controls are in odd places, perhaps eluding some users. Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Clear Private Data...". In the dialog that opens, the user might want to deselect everything except "Cache". Once satisfied that you are not going to erase something you'll regret, click "Clear Private Data Now". Then go back to the Web Mail page and click the reload button. This time you should definitely see the new version.

The preferences for "Clear Private Data..." are found at Firefox>Preferences...>Privacy near the bottom of the tab.

The preferences for "Cache" are found at Firefox>Preferences...>Advanced>Network.

I Hope This helps.

Brad

Thanks for your always helpful feedback.

They do hide the settings. You can tweak them by typing
      about:config
on the address line. You can look up help for those on the web. See the settings for browser.cache.*

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 19, 2007 4:47 PM    |   (18)

Hello, Again!

Some quick follow-up about Firefox:

"Standard diagnostic - Firefox" at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox is helpful anytime Firefox is suspected of being the cause of a malfunction.

Firefox 2.0.0.5 was released 2007/07/17. One should *always* be using the latest version that will run on his or her OS. Nearly every update they have ever published included patches for security problems (including some rated as severe) and/or to plug obscure crash-inducing memory leaks. (2.0.0.5 happens to include both.)

I Hope This Helps,

Brad

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Sharon Jacobs   |   July 26, 2007 9:14 AM    |   (19)

sorry to be so stupid..cannot sign in Web Mail.. have read instr. about default for In Box and for earthlink default..but cannot find where or how to do it..appreciate any help..wish you could do it for me..(70 yrs) not too savvy on technology terminology..(but I CAN spell!) Thanks for any help..Keep it simple..Sharon

Open your browser and go to webmail.earthlink.net. Enter your email address and password and click the Sign-In button. If your login fails, you can check or change your password in My Account (click My Account at the top of any page). There is a link there for forgotten password if you can't log in there.

Posted by: Sharon Jacobs   |   July 30, 2007 8:11 PM    |   (20)

EMail Guy..On 07/26/07 at 9:14 am ( #19) I asked you about being unable to sign in on web mail..I did what you told me..even had my granddaughter try to fix it...nothing..I really do not want to change my password,,I've had the same one since 1998,,,Yes, I've been with Earthlink that long and I'm too old to change horses in the middle of the stream...Please help..Thanks...Sharon Jacobs

If my instructions didn't help, then please call 1-888-EARTHLINK for assistance logging in to your account. They will be able to help you interactively and in real time, which will be much more effective than my trying to do it here.