« FIXED - Buttons not visible on older IE browsers     |   Back to MAIN   |     Security certificate bug in Norton 360 »

Setting your default login and logout page - 07/12/07

Subject:       Setting your default login and logout page
Date: July 12, 2007 1:41 PM

In case you haven't been following recent releases, there are some new options to control the default page shown on login and after logout.

To set the first page you see after login, click Preferences / Web Mail Options and use this setting:

To set the destination page for after you log out, click Preferences / Web Mail Options (while logged in) and use this setting:

logoutpref.gif

Be sure to click Save when you're done.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 12, 2007 3:03 PM    |   (1)

Hello, e-Mail Guy,

Thank you for fixing this!

Now, all we need to approach perfection (almost anyway) is the pop-up with all our secondary accounts listed for ultra easy account switching.

BTW, you mentioned something about, in the future, not needing to enter a password to switch to secondary mail accounts. On account of privacy concerns where multiple family members (or coworkers) are concerned, I think that's a bad idea, even if the master is the one current logged-in. (In the case of "throw away" alter-egos created to deal with spam it's not an issue though.)

If an issue arises with a secondary account, the master can of course always get in. But IMHO it should *never* just automatically open without entering a password.

Again, Thank You!

Brad

You're correct, and there will be a place to control the permissions. Tentatively I see there being a setting in My Account, under each account profile, to enable this feature for the master account to access it in Web Mail. So under each secondary profile, it would need to be explicitly enabled, with the secondary password being required at that point to turn on the setting. This allows protection for family members who have set their own password on their secondary, unknown to the master. The scheme hasn't been totally thought out yet, but this is the idea.

Posted by: JL   |   July 13, 2007 6:34 PM    |   (2)

Thanks for the fix with this - may be perceived as a minor issue but when you log in/out many times that was a biggie.

I am looking forward to losing the advertisments altogether - this is very difficult to use webmail on a handheld device because of the space used (along with the underlying issue of this being a paid account).

Thought a thank-you was deserved!

Posted by: Steve   |   July 14, 2007 4:26 PM    |   (3)

1. welcome back and I hope your vacation allowed you to re-charge
2. thank you for the logout option; when having multiple email accts. to check, it makes it much smoother
3. along those lines, and it must be my cookie settings or my Google toolbar autofill, but all I have to do is single left click on the empty space of the email logon page, and a little buffer of all 6 of my email accts. drops down. from there, I just highlight the account I want to access next and it fills in the email address and password for that acct. (I have the "remember me..." box unchecked so that no one email address fills in automatically.) very quick and easy when security is not an issue (one more note, if that little buffer has an entry you don't want, highlight it and hit your delete button and it is gone from the buffer)
4. I also strongly vote for 'no advertising' on the email pages.... We are paying for the service vs. using a "free" email acct. such as hotmail, therefore should be able to log into "advertising free" space.
5. thank you for "being there" for your customer base, and actually listening to our gripes.... what a breath of fresh air to have CONCERNED customer support! They don't pay you enough, whatever it is.....

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 18, 2007 10:50 PM    |   (4)

Hello, again!

"So under each secondary profile, it would need to be explicitly enabled, with the secondary password being required at that point to turn on the setting."

That sounds OK. It would be a good idea to have a warning to the secondary account holder, something like:

"Beware: If you don't enable this, and you then forget your password, the Master Account Holder may have no way to help you. You could lose everything in your mailbox."

Brad

Not really, there are ways to recover/reset lost passwords by providing validation information in My Account. Also, the master account holder can always reset any password on any secondary mailbox, even if he doesn't know the current password. He owns the account.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   July 22, 2007 3:49 PM    |   (5)

re.: "... master account holder can always reset any password on any secondary mailbox, even if he doesn't know the current password."

Oh! Didn't know that!

I've never had that problem; the person I share my account with had so much trouble remembering her passwords she gave me copies for safekeeping. We let the Mac OS X Keychain encrypt and remember them for daily use. As an added bonus, this allowed us to maximize the robustness of all our passwords - even I can't remember them and I have an excellent memory.

I keep the backup copies, both hers and mine, buried in another encrypted area of my hard disk drive (HDD), so no-one can simply do a string-search of the HDD and expect to find them.

Brad

Posted by: DD   |   August 5, 2007 12:01 PM    |   (6)

Please make the "default defaults" be "INBOX" and "Web mail login".

Right now, if one has never chosen, one gets "News headlines" and "my.earthlink.net". This is good for EarthlLink, but not for its users. In other words, although Earthlink wants to publicize all its features, and give users a zillion chances to divert to other areas which generate additional revenue for EarthLink, an old user wants things -- by default, mind you -- to work as they always have. And a new user who logs in to web mail had to get there somehow, so they have already run the gauntlet through the EarthLink "portal".

Also, I agree with the person above who said those ads on the email pages are lossage. Especially when I go on the road and use dialup, the advertisements become an intolerable drag. Of course I can use a mail-reader and POP3 service, but on the road, ofttimes one is without one's own hardware & software. Make all the arguments you like about the ads being part of the total revenue package allowing EarthLink service to exist, the fact remains that they are now a reason to avoid your webmail interface. Did some marketing genius decide to "make webmail pay for itself"? Yay! Turn a cost center into a revenue source! MBA brain damage...

Posted by: DD   |   August 5, 2007 12:23 PM    |   (7)

Followup to my earlier post:

i) My invective against revenue generation opportunities aside, the rationale for making the default start screen be "INBOX" rather than "Headlines" is... that's what the user *asked* for! Criminy, if one signs in to read one's mail, one certainly isn't looking for national news!

ii) As to the default exit screen, my hatred of that default would not be so strong if my.earthlink.net took less time to transmit and display in a browser. Even over DSL it's tedious. Perhaps if the default exit screen were more compact than a full portal? You could make a very good argument like, "Displaying the login screen again, for most users, is pointless, so why not display something useful?" Fair enough, if it didn't have any downsides.

iii) As to my dinosaur dialup ways, there's a good chance for your programmers to shine: Look up the IP in your current dialup ranges, and display something "lite" instead of the graphic ads during use and massive portal after exit. Something like this is what you might be working on for your mobile phone users, too!

Posted by: Larry Pedrick   |   September 12, 2007 10:28 PM    |   (8)

I was going to ask about being able to check secondary email accounts with a single webmail login, but I used the search and found this thread! It is good to hear this feature is being considered. Is there a timeframe? I notice this thread is from July...has it by any chance been implemented yet? (heading over to myaccount right now to check :-) )

Thanks!

Larry Pedrick

P.S. Should I be offended by asking if I am a robot or human? Is there a Gom Jabbar involved?

Posted by: Lori B   |   September 28, 2007 11:07 AM    |   (9)

Thank you for the choice of the EarthLink page or the WebMail Page when logging out of WebMail. I was one of the many who made this suggestion as I have more then one email to check and it is easier to logout and have it go directly to the WebMail page. Thank you for taking the time to actually read and implement suggestions!
Lori

Posted by: Keisha Montouth   |   April 13, 2008 1:03 PM    |   (10)

♥♥ thanks for fixing this ♥♥