« "This Is Spam" reports bouncing     |   Back to MAIN   |     Web Mail 5.50 released September 28 »

Keeping your EarthLink mailbox - 09/26/07

Subject:       Keeping your EarthLink mailbox
Date: September 26, 2007 1:22 PM

When circumstances change users sometimes change how they get their Internet access, due to moving to another town, work-related access, or other reasons. We've had a lot of questions lately about how to keep an EarthLink mailbox if you won't be using EarthLink to access the Internet. A related scenario is if your Internet access provider has been using EarthLink to provide your mailboxes, and that provider is moving their email to another place and offering you a new email address. I've also gotten a lot of questions from users in that situation.

In both cases the answer is yes, you can keep your EarthLink mailbox and address. We have an email-only plan for $3.95 per month. If you have an EarthLink mailbox already then you can simply call customer service at 1-800-EARTHLINK and tell them you want to convert your mailbox to a "Premium Mail" account. Even if your EarthLink account or mailbox has already been closed, you can still do this for a few weeks as your mailbox won't have been deleted yet and can be recovered. We can just re-open it for you.

Read more about Premium Mail here. But don't sign up through that web page; you must call customer service in order to convert over an existing mailbox.

Showing Comments 1-25 of 29   |   Next »   |   End »

Posted by: Steve   |   October 1, 2007 10:51 AM    |   (1)

Isn't Earthlink email free for non members? If so, could you switch from your paid email account to the free one and keep the same email address? Here is the link where I get my free information from:

No, free mailboxes can only be set up for new email addresses. It isn't possible to transfer an existing mailbox into the free system.

Posted by: Greg   |   December 14, 2007 12:58 AM    |   (2)

I am an earthlink dail-up subscriber. However, I have switched ISP -- and am still able to receive and send earthlink email when connected to my new ISP. If I call earthlink and buy an earthlink premium email account when my current earthlink dail-up account expires in a few months, will I still be able to receive and send earthlink email easily from my current earthlink email address? Must I then use the earthlink mailbox?

Will I have to change my pop3 settings for earthlink premium email? Will earthlink premium mail work via Yahoo?

Thank you.

You won't have to change anything in your settings, you can access your mailbox over any connection as long as you keep the mailbox. Be sure to convert the account to Premium Mail before the cancellation, to avoid any loss of messages or contacts saved in your mailbox. You have to call in to ask for the account change. Again, this will not affect your settings, only your bill.

Posted by: Tracey Karcher   |   March 24, 2008 12:06 AM    |   (3)

My partner wants to set up an earthlink email account, but is unable to. Each time he tries, the sign in page comes up with MY email address and PW. Do I have to dump all my cookies and history so he can create an account?

Thanks!

Type over it.

You have your browser set to save typed entries on web pages, and it isn't related to cookies or history. See this FAQ.

Posted by: plurye   |   August 10, 2008 11:17 PM    |   (4)

Just want to make sure this also applies to mindspring email addresses - i.e., that "email-only" status is available for that as well.

Thanks,
Peter

Posted by: Kirk Larson   |   January 20, 2009 10:40 AM    |   (5)

I hope and assume this option still exists--the Premium Mail account--and is available for folks like me with an @mindspring email account. Is this correct? Thanks

Yes of course. Call customer service to convert.

Posted by: Peter Hyman   |   February 9, 2009 5:10 PM    |   (6)

I have been a mindspring customer for a decade and earthlink (via Time Warner Cable) is my current provider, but the Road Runner service is $12 a month cheaper, which adds up. We're cutting back on all our bills, and I want to switch over to Road Runner. Will I be able to use Road Runner as my ISP AND STILL KEEP my mindspring/earthlink account via "Premium Mail"?

I'm on premium mail now and just spoke to customer service and they got rid of my second box (which I never used) and said it would be $2.95 per month. Does that sound right?

Also: a while back I was paying for dial up service, just to keep the email address, but obviously don't need. I'm not still being charged for that am I?

Many thank
Peter

You can convert any account to Premium Mail, which is an email-only account with no access service. Premium Mail is $4.95 a month for two mailboxes. To convert an account call customer service.

Posted by: janna   |   May 11, 2009 12:13 AM    |   (7)

I had a s/w app on my old computer called "Earthlink Mailbox" that was a wonderful e-mail application. My computer died, and I cannot find any way to download that app anywhere. It isn't inside TotalAccess, and I am not talking about Webmail... this was a stand-alone application for doing e-mail -- had several identities I could set up, and I could check from one to the next without closing the application. Can anyone tell me how I can get that application for my new/replacement computer?

Thanks!

Posted by: Jan Foucault   |   May 14, 2009 3:43 PM    |   (8)

If I get a email only account for 3.95 a month can I also pay the .99 extra a month to block the advertising?

Posted by: Judie Baldini   |   July 16, 2009 11:14 AM    |   (9)

Ok I am confused. I have had Earthlink(mindspring) for well over 10 years. I used their dial-up until about 2 yrs ago and swithched to High Speed thru cable company because Earthlink never got a HS service in this area(I waited as long as I could!) I got something called Earthlink Experience to keep my email accounts and with it comes 10 hrs a mo of dial-up which I have used only occassionally when the cable internet is down. I also have 2 mindspring email accounts...one for me and one for my husband. I use the total access because I have always used that but he accesses his email thru web mail. We are both recently unemployed and need to save $$. Earthlink Experience is $9.95 mo. Can I downgrade to that Premium Mail for $3.95 and keep the same 2 email addresses? Even $7 mo savings helps! All of my husbands resumes and contacts use that earthlink account and it is essential that he keep it. Thanks so much.

Yes you can. Call customer service.

Posted by: Iconix   |   July 22, 2009 5:17 PM    |   (10)

Is it still possible to get a free Earthlink webmail account without subscribing to any Earthlink services? If yes, could you please provide a URL to the page where I can signup?

Many thanks.

Posted by: stratton kearns   |   August 24, 2009 6:40 PM    |   (11)

I have changed my Earthlink plan to Premium Mail at $3.95/month.

Can I still use my Mac Mail application to access my Earthlink mailbox WITHOUT changing any settings in the mail application OR going through the WebMail site?

thanks

Yes. Make sure you have your outgoing server (smtp) set to smtpauth.earthlink.net on port 587, if you didn't already.

Posted by: Deb   |   August 28, 2009 4:32 PM    |   (12)

If I convert my existing Earthlink email account that has eight free addresses to the Premium Mail Service, can I keep all eight addresses for an additional charge?

Thanks

The first two are included in the Premium Mail price of $3.95. More mailboxes are a little extra.

Posted by: Colleen Gaier   |   September 19, 2009 10:29 PM    |   (13)

I understand that your existing Earthlink emails can be saved when converting to the "Premium Acct". What will happen to emails saved in folders?

Nothing, your mailbox would be unchanged, just put under a new account type.

Posted by: tim   |   December 8, 2009 4:41 PM    |   (14)

is there a minimum time length for setting up a new premium email account? Can I open an account for say 2 months, and cancel service?

You can pay by the month and cancel any time, or pay a year for a discounted price.

Posted by: Enigma   |   December 18, 2009 3:05 AM    |   (15)

My friend is finally switching away from dialup. I've read the Premium Mail details, which I know she'll go for. However, she also enjoys her earthlink start page. Does that go the way of the dodo when changing a dial-up access account to an email-only one?

Her customized start page will continue to work and allow her to log in.

Posted by: dguy   |   January 2, 2010 6:28 PM    |   (16)

I have high speed internet through Clearwire. I pay $3.95 a month for Earthlink Premuim Mail.

If I cancel the premium mail will I still be able to use Earthlink Notifier with a free Earthlink email account?

Can i have the anonymous Mypacts email accounts with the free Earthlink email?

EarthLink no longer provides any free email service. You must be a subscriber to Premium Mail or some other EarthLink service.

Posted by: JimC   |   January 8, 2010 7:18 PM    |   (17)

If I switch to Premium Mail, can I still keep the 400MB mailbox by continuing to pay the extra amount? Also, are there any plans to bump that number up? It's a relatively small amount compared to services like comcast, yahoo and google. Thanks!

Yes, you can keep the extra size with Premium Mail. Be sure to mention it when you switch.

Posted by: ritz4   |   February 8, 2010 12:28 PM    |   (18)

I may be forced to leave Earthlink to make sure Comcast, our provider, will guarantee uninterrupted service. So If I sign up for Premium Email to keep my two old mindspring emails, can I also keep my 5 anonymous emails as well?

Yes, they are part of the main email account, so if they are on the mailboxes that you keep, they will not change.

Posted by: Max   |   March 3, 2010 5:38 PM    |   (19)

I have had Earthlink DSL for many years. I have moved to another location and found that Earthlink DSL is not available at this location. I also have Verizon Wireless that used at home with the laptop. While moving I installed the Verizon Wireless manager in the PC in order to be online. I have subscribed to premium mail, and have to continue with Verizon Wireless or switch to ATT High Speed DSL. With Premium Mail when opening Internet Explorer will I still have my Earthlink Start Page? Will my emails automatically be posted on Outlook Express when I open Outlook? What I have to do differently for internet access, and sending and receiving emails than when using Earthlink DSL?

You shouldn't have to change anything about how you use email.

Posted by: JOE   |   March 26, 2010 10:03 PM    |   (20)

if i change to premium mail do i keep all 8 email addreses

The base price includes 2 mailboxes but you can add them all. Talk to customer service and they can take care of it.

Posted by: Mpls Mike   |   March 28, 2010 10:56 AM    |   (21)

I use my earthlink email addresses through Comcast. I am considering changing to Qwest. Can I keep my earthlink email addresses?

If you have an Internet access account with EarthLink that includes your email address, just contact customer service and have it changed to Premium Mail (email only) which will be cheaper. If you already have Premium Mail, you don't need to do anything, as it doesn't matter how you get online to use it.

Posted by: jane   |   May 9, 2010 12:38 AM    |   (22)

I've run out room and maxed out at 400MB in my mailbox. I would pay extra for a larger mailbox. Any plans soon to up this size? Thanks!

Posted by: Joanne Scheller   |   November 22, 2010 10:07 PM    |   (23)

I own two Mac G4 iBooks with OS 10.4.11 installed. I get my Earthlink email through "Mail"; I switched to "Mail" on both computers because my new Sanyo Fascinate smartphone only intermittently picked up my webmail. I was thinking my going at my email thru my Earthnet business internet DSL connection and my browser then clicking on "webmail" was maybe to blame. Turns out I still can't get my e-mail reliably.

What is the problem? I've instructed one computer to forward my Earthlink webmail; should I have done this on both computers? Or can't business webmail be forwarded? Or doesn't my Smartphone support Earthlink webmail forwards? Or what? I'm at my wit's end. I've talked to Earthlink tech support and to Verizon tech support and nobody cured my problem. One suggested I call Sanyo, but I'm beginning to think I would just be wasting my breath.

Posted by: cindy   |   February 19, 2011 10:49 AM    |   (24)

i just tried to downgrade my email since i have been paying 6.95 for emails that a) my kids no longer use so i don't need 5 mailboxes and b) i don't need much space since i use gmail myself however i do want to keep the mail box id

i called customer service and he said the only option is the 4.95 premium plan (which i have, 5 mailboxes) and that purchasing just one is no longer available. then i got disconnected from him,( and i could hardly understand him anyway)

so whats the deal? is there a way to have my mindspring account cheaper? $60 a year is too much however i paid $21 a month for several years for the same and that was really too much!!! pls advise

Posted by: chuck   |   April 21, 2011 11:13 AM    |   (25)

I have my dsl account and email address thru earthlink and want to change my my service to dsl extreme because of pricing. Can I keep my earthlink email address if I cancel their service?

Yes, just tell customer service you want to keep the email address and they will put you on an email-only plan.

Showing Comments 1-25 of 29   |   Next »   |   End »