« Keeping your EarthLink mailbox     |   Back to MAIN   |     We're listening »

Web Mail 5.50 released September 28 - 09/28/07

Subject:       Web Mail 5.50 released September 28
Date: September 28, 2007 6:00 AM

UPDATE - see this post for a response to feedback we've received.

Web Mail has some great new features today!

We're making progress towards Web Mail 6.0 and we've decided to make the updates in 3 phases. This is the first phase, version 5.50, and it includes a number of the planned improvements and some bug fixes. Next we'll have 5.60 in a month or so, and then hopefully we'll have the full 6.0 released by the end of this year. Change takes a little getting-used-to, so we don't want to change too much at once. This article explains what we updated in this first phase.

Important: if you keep your browser open all the time and you have not closed it and restarted it since the new release, there may be some issues with the page style that will be resolved once you shut down your browser and re-open it so it can refresh the style sheets that control the page layout. If that doesn't work, clear the cache and try again.

** If you are not seeing the layout exactly like the image below , including the lines between the message list, then you need to refresh your browser or clear your browser cache. This picture is IE7, but Firefox 2.0 or any up-to-date browser will look almost identical.

550-screenshot-sm.gif

(click to see full size)

Once your browser has loaded the updated page, here's a list of the improvements you'll see:

There are some changes to the button bar above the message view (in both the preview pane and full message view).

550-button-bar.gif

• The button order has changed, and you'll see a new Print button there, making that feature easier to find and use.
  • We shortened the "This Is Spam" button to just Spam but it still does the same thing.
  • The "Move to..." selector no longer has a button associated with it. Now when you select your destination folder in the list, that click will go ahead and do the move. Fewer steps.
  • On the far right you'll see a new selector for "More Actions...". This list contains features that already existed but were sometimes hard to find, so now they're all in one place and easier to use. The actions are View Headers, View Source, Mark Unread, and Flag Message. All of these work exactly the same as they did before; they are just in a more accessible place. Note that when you are using the Preview pane, there won't be a selection to Mark Unread. You have to turn off Preview to do that (which is also easier to toggle now).
  • Last, notice the Forward selector. This is now a drop-down instead of a button, so that you can choose whether to forward a message inline or "as attachment". Previously it just defaulted to inline, which often caused problems with re-forwarding messages forwarded to you with attached files. In the next release, we're going to make this a combination control with a button area and the drop-down area, so that you will only have to click once for your default Forward type (which you can set in Preferences).

A subset of that same button bar appears above and below the message list when you aren't viewing a message (same as before).
550-button-bar-2.gif
  • In this instance, only the controls that you can use on multiple messages at the same time are present until you actually click on a particular message. These are the same features you had before, we just made them easier to use. So you can use the checkboxes to select multiple messages, and then you can report Spam, Delete, or Move your selected messages all at once.
Caution - if you're like me and you use Web Mail a lot with the preview turned on, you'll probably click the Spam button a few times without looking, meaning to click Delete, since they changed places. I got used to it pretty quickly. If you make the mistake, just click Cancel when the spam reporting form comes up.

We made the Print feature easier to use and improved the text display.
  • Now when you click the Print button, the printable view will open up like it always has, but in addition the Print dialog for your computer will pop open automatically. The old way confused many users.
  • You'll also notice that the printable view is much more nicely formatted now.

We made the Show Preview control easier to find by making it a button. Look just above the date column.
show-preview.gif

You'll notice a new link style throughout Web Mail now. Instead of the traditional underlined style, now they only show an underline on mouse-over.
  • Links still have the blue link color so they are easy to spot. But removing all those underlines gives the page more whitespace and a cleaner, more modern style that is easier on your eyes.
550-linkis.gif

On the Address Book page we:
  • Streamlined the Add selector to need one less click in the same way as the new Move control for messages already described.
  • The Show Groups control has been made easier to use.

The Blocked Sender List is now sorted alphabetically, making it easier to manage. Click Preferences if you aren't familiar with it.

Plain text messages will now display in a much more attractive and readable font (the same font you are reading right here).

And we fixed a few bugs in this release:
  • FIXED - Wrapping of plain text messages viewed in the preview pane should no longer go outside the visible area or require any horizontal scrolling to view all the text.
  • FIXED - The spacing of the message listing is now more compact vertically again so you can see more messages in the list.
  • FIXED - Importing certain CSV files to the Address Book should work better now.
  • Also a lot of work has been done under-the-hood to make Web Mail more reliable and faster. This will continue to be improved in the upcoming releases.

In addition to the above list, you'll notice a few other little style changes here and there that make things look nicer or easier to view, and more consistent between different browsers. So I hope you enjoy all these improvements, and please continue to send us feedback either here on this blog or using the Feedback link in Web Mail. Your input is what helps us continue to improve. Look for more great updates in the 5.60 release in a few weeks.

UPDATE - see this post for a response to feedback we've received.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 126-138 of 138

Posted by: Ed   |   October 15, 2007 11:20 AM    |   (126)

Having read some of the posts concerning advertisements I see that I feel like alot of others about
having do deal with them, which is I don't like it. So the simple question is how do I eliminate them?

Ed

Posted by: Donald Clark   |   October 16, 2007 3:50 PM    |   (127)

The sender and definitely the move to button needs to be wider. The move to button needs to be the same width as the folders file 20 spaces. The move to button is only 14 spaces wide and there is plenty of room to make it 24 spaces.

The subject width is too wide and if the Sender was an additional 10 spaces this would leave plenty of space for the subject area.

What is the chances of having the space widths on all of the columns user adjustable?

Posted by: Ralph Becker   |   October 17, 2007 5:31 PM    |   (128)

When will e-link allow letters to be typed in color,bold,italic forms instead of plain
black? (example: firefox allows choices.)
Thanks.

Unless you are running Safari, you have those features now. Click the "Color and Graphics" above the compose view. This will be made easier to use in the near future.

Posted by: alan patterson   |   October 17, 2007 5:32 PM    |   (129)

This is complaints/concern about wht web mail has done to me in the past. Sorry, but you seem to be accessible now and I've been wondereing who to contact..

At some point the messages that i had received and not either deleted or stored were in some fashion stolen/kidnapped. I rediscovered them, read only, at another earthlink site, the mailbox icon (not the whole earthllink icon) on the desktip.

This ocurred, if i remember correctly before I changed from dial-up (AOL) to a cable connection (RCN, here in Boston), but maybe after. I only use webmail (I travel a lot; additionally, from what I've seen, I don't like the basic earthlink email system). More recently a buch of email were simply disappeared, although it is possible that I erroniously hit the master (delete) button. (Style and design wise, is it too close to the first email line's [x} box?).

Most recently I somehow wandered into the myearthlink page, fiddled around with it a bit, and lo and behold it replaced rcn's opening page when I hit the explorer icon that the cable installer assigned as the way to go online. I want it back, but have no idea how to. There doesn't seem to be any way to accomplish this by the user. (As you may know, RCN uses earthlink for some of its software.)

Finally, I can now no longer access, even to read, any of my old kidnapped emails. Hitting the mailbox icon gives me some sort of negative response.

I want things back to normal. Please facilitate, or just have someone do it. But please don't kidnap or lock up (or delete) anything else.

Thanks.

Alan Patterson apatterson@igc.org

You need to read this FAQ to understand where your messages are going. EarthLink never deletes or moves any messages from any user's Inbox.

Posted by: James Obst   |   October 19, 2007 1:54 AM    |   (130)

Yes, can we PLEASE get rid of the advertisements? I've posted this question numerous times and I can see there are other people out there who would prefer to have them eliminated completely.

Posted by: Dena Lamb   |   November 6, 2007 6:34 PM    |   (131)

Often as I am reading through my mail, then hitting delete, the UI seems to skip some messages. Sometimes they disappear altogether. Then I will logout, log back in and boom, I have 3 or 4 messages randomly reappear. What's up with that, do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Posted by: Charles Schuman   |   November 9, 2007 7:53 PM    |   (132)

Can I please have an option to be returned to the list of emails in the folder when I'm viewing an email and press the delete button? I don't want to suddenly view another email just because it happened to be the next one in line. You've made a lot of changes, but haven't added this feature; it's been around for over ten years in other email applications. All I need is an option to be returned to the list view after viewing an email when I press the delete or spam button.

Also, for those wondering how to opt out of the advertisements, just blacklist ad.doubleclick.net in your hosts file. If the ads were more tasteful, or were the traditional wide banner, blocking all ads from the advertising company would not be needed.

Posted by: Bonn   |   November 15, 2007 2:22 PM    |   (133)

I think alot of work needs to be done on Font types, size selection, bolding or highlighting certain words.

Posted by: Lyn Limpert   |   December 2, 2007 8:37 AM    |   (134)

Let me know when the 6.0 version is completed. Will it work on older computers? iMacs and PCs? (I have both) and the new PCs? Why does it say this is an insecure page?

Posted by: Richard Randall   |   December 23, 2007 10:36 AM    |   (135)

It would be great to be able to insert text or picture in body of outgoing emaill rather than just have attachments. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Posted by: Susan Jessup   |   January 8, 2008 4:20 AM    |   (136)

I need to move a large address/contact file from one computer to a new computer- exporting the contacts seems to drop the groups - this is using earthlink mail, not the web mail. How can I move (or export) the whole contact/address file intact?

All your contacts are exported, the groups are just associations between those same contacts and are specific to the software where you created them. The group associations cannot be exported.

Posted by: Nathan Rosen   |   January 19, 2008 7:37 AM    |   (137)

I repeatedly tell you to eliminate InkJet... from my Web Mail, Why does it keep coming in?
I .also, want my complete sign in to be remembered.

Nathan Rosen

See this FAQ.

Posted by: Cynthia Ross   |   November 20, 2009 1:43 PM    |   (138)

Its good to know that Webmail is making improvements and I look forward to changes in the future.

rcn webmail