« We're listening     |   Back to MAIN   |     What do the Forward options mean? »

Web Mail 5.51 released October 12 - 10/12/07

Subject:       Web Mail 5.51 released October 12
Date: October 12, 2007 3:00 AM

We took your feedback and fixed a few things in the 5.50 release from two weeks ago (which you can read about in the two posts below this one) and got a new one out as quickly as we could. Here's the main things that changed in Web Mail today:

1. The order of the Delete and Spam buttons has been switched back on all views. The Delete is now first, where you are accustomed to having it.

del-spam.gif

2. The font used to display plain text messages is changed back to the familiar monospace font (the same one you see here, I switched this back to match).

3. We adjusted a few of the toolbar button sizes and spacing that was causing width problems on smaller resolution screens.

4. We made a change that will force an update of the style sheet file on browsers that were holding the old incompatible one in the cache, causing layout problems for some users.

5. The sizes of the icon columns in the left part of the Inbox list (reply arrow, attachment paperclip, flag, etc) were reduced to allow more of the subject line to show in the list. Also, when there are no icons present, those columns will now collapse and not take up any room.

icon-column.gif

6. The text on the Forward control is updated to show an ellipsis (...) as an indication that you must make a selection, to eliminate some confusion. This two-step control is still temporary while we work on one that will be a combination button and selection list, coming soon.

forward-button.gif

There were also a couple of minor bugs fixed. Thanks again for all the feedback, and we're still working hard on more improvements and will have another release in a few weeks.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 201-220 of 220

Posted by: William David Gardner   |   January 11, 2008 5:56 AM    |   (201)

other internet service providers include large memory for emails, but earthlink is very stingy with email memory. sooner later this lack will cause me to drop earthlink and go elsewhere. Other than that Earthlink is excellent

Posted by: Joel   |   January 12, 2008 2:24 PM    |   (202)

I occasionally use Web Mail, though most of the time I use the Mail app on Mac OS X. Consequently, whenever I visit webmail, all my messages are listed as new. How about a button like the "Spam" button that works as "Mark as Read." That way a person could select all the mail that isn't new to them, mark it as read, and the counts would be more accurate.

Just a thought... I know I'd appreciate this feature, perhaps others would too.

Posted by: Keith Clarke   |   January 13, 2008 5:54 PM    |   (203)

Hello:

Why is it we can't save some of our e-mail from the In Box to the Draft Box?

This would allow us to save some of our e-mail that is inportant without using up our alloted message space.

Waiting on your reply.

Keith.

All saved messages are counted in your quota. You can create new folders and move messages to them from the Inbox. Click on Folders and then use the Create Folder feature there. You can't move messages manually to the Drafts folder, you can only save them there from the Compose view. But you can move messages to any other folder you create. All messages in all folders (except Known Spam) still count in your storage quota.

Posted by: ellen   |   January 15, 2008 9:37 PM    |   (204)

The ability to mark as read would be great!!!!

Posted by: kitchens, patricia   |   January 16, 2008 9:38 AM    |   (205)

I use this all the time at work to check my email. I can not get the forward button to work to forward emails to other people. What am I doing wrong?

Please describe what browser and operating system you are using, with version numbers, and also any web security or anti-virus software you are running on that machine. If you have a compatible browser (any recent one) then something is blocking the javascripts needed to perform that action. If you have a very old browser, it may not be compatible.

Posted by: Mike Tooman   |   January 17, 2008 8:45 PM    |   (206)

Why can't I keep the same setting????? I.E. either plain or color and graphics?? Why can't I (or how can I ) add fonts? No, don't want 100, just one or two. Why can't I insert pics etc.??

The ability to save your compose preferences will be added in an upcoming release. In the HTML compose mode (Color and Graphics) the font selection is fixed and you can't add to it. Inserting pictures inline in a new message is a feature we plan to add in a future release, and Web Mail does not currently have that ability.

Posted by: Belle Star   |   January 20, 2008 12:14 PM    |   (207)

Sometimes I get something I eant to read in my spam. How can I recover it?

You need to change the spamBlocker settings to not delete Known Spam immediately. Then it will be saved for 10 days (up to the 100 newest messages) for your review. Click spamBlocker / Settings. To save a message permanently, move it out of that folder to any other folder (except Trash obviously).

Posted by: joyce pace   |   January 22, 2008 12:04 AM    |   (208)

I would like to see a SAVED mail for mail I would like to keep. It is so simple rather than searching back two weeks to find something. Your competition has it and it is so convienent. Thanks

All your email on EarthLink is "saved" and unlike the competition, we don't delete any of your messages, so you don't need a special folder. But if you want a folder named "Saved" to help you organize messages, just click on Folders on the left, and create one by typing in the name at the bottom. You can create up to 200 custom folders with any names you like. Then you can easily move messages into those folders by clicking Move.

Posted by: Robert   |   January 23, 2008 6:03 PM    |   (209)

when I delete a web mail message it automatically defaults back to web mail messages instead of the next message as it had in the past and have to click on next message to view.

Nothing changed on this. When you are viewing a message, deleting it causes the next message to display. I don't know what you are doing to get this other behavior. Please provide more detail about the steps you are taking.

Posted by: Sharon   |   January 25, 2008 6:02 PM    |   (210)

My ISP discontinued our free Earthlink and came out with its own e-mail (which appears to be merely contracted out to some other provider). When I'm out of town I do use Web Mail so I tried it out and it is very slow, seems more convoluted, and just isn't as slick as Earthlink's Web Mail, so I'm back to Earthlink, even if I do have to pay for it.

I love your e-mail - Web Mail, Suspect E-Mail, and all the other services that go with it! So don't get carried away with the "improvements" and wind up with sloggy service like the above! :-) Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks for the feedback. We don't intend to make that mistake.

Posted by: Helene Linne   |   January 26, 2008 3:11 PM    |   (211)

You had mentioned, months back, that an increase in web mail storage would be forthcoming. I often travel for up to three weeks at a time and depend on webmail. I have had to send many of my messages to Yahoo, where I maintain a free account mostly for advertising and catalogues. I also have a dormant AOL account, which I don't choose to use, but may have to. For the high price I am paying for Earthlink broadband (cable), I find this very limiting and am seriously considering another ISP after three years. It will be an inconvenience, for sure, and this is my only, but major, complaint with Earthlink. Can you tell me if it is still in your future plans to expand storage capacity in Webmail, and when????

Thanks.

Plans to increase default storage quotas are uncertain at this point, and I wish I could give you a firm date but I don't have one. We do have size upgrades available for a small fee in your My Account settings.

Posted by: Claire Brown   |   January 29, 2008 9:12 AM    |   (212)

when the word "disconnect" appears at the bottom of the screen when I am writing an email, is there any way I can save it to send later? It frustrates me beyond belief

Currently if you attempt to send a message in Web Mail when you are not connected and logged in, the text will usually be lost. We are working on an auto-save feature to help eliminate that problem.

Posted by: Stephen Cohen   |   February 1, 2008 4:00 PM    |   (213)

Three things:

1. You really do need to increase your space allocation past 100MB. The competition is leaving you further behind on this.
2. Search needs better functionality. I need to be able to search through all emails for a phrase.
3. The pre-fill in the "to" field is erratic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I do appreciate that you never delete my emails no matter how old, and you seem to keep most spam out of my Inbox. So there's a lot I like. Please continue to enhance--seems to be a while since there were significant enhancements.

Posted by: Gwen Parkinson   |   February 3, 2008 11:20 PM    |   (214)

I use webmail alot and when I am entering my password, often it moves back up into where I enter my e-mail address. This is so annoying and then if I'm not closely watching, it will show my email address with my password attached to it. This problem really needs to be addressed. Thanks.

Good news - this problem is fixed in the release scheduled to go live next week.

Posted by: Michael Wright   |   February 4, 2008 9:41 AM    |   (215)

I love Earthlink. However, I'm very disappointed in the fact that only a 10MB e-mail can be sent and the 100MB e-mail account seems very stingy by today's standards. Even free e-mail providers do a better job than this. When can we expect to see some improvement in this area?

Posted by: simone   |   February 5, 2008 8:25 PM    |   (216)

Your last release highlighted this change:
"We made a change that will force an update of the style sheet file on browsers that were holding the old incompatible one in the cache, causing layout problems for some users."

Is there a step we are supposed to have done to correct this? I've noticed lately that some emails I receive that may have embedded image files plus text in the message body, are showing up as a blank message in the body of the text with any images as attachments. I've compared these emails to my work email setup and on yahoo and they turn out fine, but not on Webmail.

We didn't make a change that would affect that. Whether an image is displayed inline or as a file attachment is specified by the sending software (and by the sender) in the structure of the message. Some email software ignores those instructions and chooses to display all image files inline anyway, which is non-standard. That is not to say that the problem might not be in Web Mail, sometimes certain multi-part messages do get misinterpreted. But it would have been that way for quite a while now, and the change you refer to above isn't related to that.

If you would like to send me an example I'll be happy to investigate it. Send it to email-guy at earthlink dot net, from the address you used on this comment. Use the Forward As Attachment option to send me the entire message that doesn't display properly, or have your correspondent send an original. If you are going to do that, send me email yourself first and give me their address, so I can allow it.

Note: that mailbox only accepts messages I have asked for in advance.

Posted by: Gwyn Higbee   |   March 7, 2008 10:41 AM    |   (217)

I read your blog response to Michael Arghi's 12/14/07 question about the error for the Error 500 Tomcat and tried your solution to change the webmail option. I've reported the same problem at least 5 times to support and I continue to recieve the error and have no success in resolving. I've tried changing my email preferences. I've been told that it is an issue when using Explorer 7.0(when I'm using 6.0) This occurs at multiple computers both using highspeed and dial up. I'm totally frustrated and would like to know how to resolve.

I think this problem is occuring on the MyEarthLink page that you are directed to on logout, and not happening in Web Mail. You can tell by looking at the address shown in the browser. I've directed these reports to that team. Sometimes Web Mail still tries to send you to that site on logout even if you have changed your setting. We're fixing that.

Posted by: Cheryl Walls   |   March 31, 2008 1:11 PM    |   (218)

I have encountered the same problem as reported by simone, Feb 5, 2008, #216. I have someone who sends me messages from Outlook that have one of the default backgrounds selected that makes a pretty email message but the only thing I see are two images as attachments (these are the background images) and no message content. I have to read these messages from Outlook myself in order to read their email. This has been occurring for at least a couple of years for me.

I was wondering if you received an example of this type of email from simone and if you knew what the problem is with these types of emails. I would be happy to send you an example if you didn't receive one yet.

I've tried to reproduce this sending email from Outlook 2003, using all variations of their backgrounds, stationery, styles, and format choices. They all viewed properly in Web Mail for me. I know that older versions of Outlook did have some problems when set to use the proprietary Microsoft rich text format for messages, where they could only be viewed properly by other Outlook users.

Send me an example and I'll figure it out. Send to email-guy at earthlink dot net from the address you used on this comment.

Note: that mailbox only accepts messages I've asked for in advance.

Posted by: Curtis   |   July 31, 2008 1:41 PM    |   (219)

In one of your replies you stated:

"To make sure your recipient gets the exact original email that you received, use the "as attachment" selection when forwarding. The "inline text" selection is for when you want to respond to or edit the original content, and depending on how the original was constructed, using inline will not always preserve inline images or files."

Yes, when you forward things "as attachment," the recipient may get the exact original email, including any and all email addresses on the forwarded message. However, I like to make it a habit of deleting all email addresses before forwarding in order to protect people's privacy as well as to minimize spam.

Understood. Just know that sometimes forwarding as inline text will not completely preserve the formatting of the original.

Posted by: Joshua   |   February 2, 2011 3:17 AM    |   (220)

Hi Email Guy,

Could you please let me know the Address Book contacts limit in Webmail?

Joshua