« Web Mail 5.51 released October 12     |   Back to MAIN   |     Email Guy out of the office this week »

What do the Forward options mean? - 10/17/07

Subject:       What do the Forward options mean?
Date: October 17, 2007 10:54 AM

Some users have been confused by the new control for forwarding messages.

When you click on Forward, you now see two choices for how you would like to forward your message. These choices have always existed, but you could only change them in the Preferences and then use the same selection all the time. This didn't meet the needs of many users, so we've exposed this option on the compose toolbar. For now you must make a selection each time you want to Forward a message. We will be improving this soon to give the best of both worlds, where you can change the choice inline, or use a single click to use your default choice.

Here's what the two selections mean:     forward-click.gif

Inline text - this means that the original message text from the sender will be copied into your outgoing message body, and you will see it below what you are typing. This allows easy reference to what the sender said when you are responding to it. This option is most appropriate for regular message correspondence.

As attachment - this is the default forwarding type used by some other webmail services. It means that the original message will be sent along with your message, but as a file attachment. The recipient will not see the forwarded message in your message body, but will need to click on the attached file to view the original message. And if that message was re-forwarded several times, the reader might see a common "nesting" effect where you have to click down through several layers to get to the original. This is all controlled by how each subsequent sender handles the message. In the case of complex HTML emails with formatting and inline images, particularly newsletters, jokes with pictures, and things copied from web pages, you are safest using the "As Attachment" option to make sure your recipient gets the exact original message displayed as intended.

In both cases, any file attachments that came with the message you received and are now forwarding, are resent along with the new message. Don't be confused by inline images that are actually remote links retrieved at viewing time only, those files are not included in the original message and not forwarded in your message. Depending on how the original sender set them up, they may or may not go through.

In most cases your selection of inline text or attachment has no effect on how attachments to the original message are handled. In some cases, depending on how well-behaved the email program used by the sender was, you may need to use "As attachment" in order to make sure all of the original content and files are included in your Forward. One major Web Mail service in particular seems to have this problem with their outgoing messages. So if you get reports of recipients not receiving your forwarded attachments, use the "As Attachment" option. Note that this potential problem only applies to forwarding a message already sent to you. When you create an original message and attach a file to it, that file will always be correctly sent to the recipient.

There have been a few reports from users with old browsers that the forwarding selector doesn't work for them. The oldest browsers we test on and support are IE 5.5, Safari 1.3, and Firefox 1.5. On all other browsers (plus these) we test the most recent versions. If you are having trouble with a supported browser, try clearing your browser cache (delete temporary Internet files) and then restart your browser. If that fails, see if there is an update to your browser available for your operating system.

Posted by: Carol Surface   |   October 17, 2007 10:17 PM    |   (1)

Did you condense the listing of emails? I preferred the looser listing that I used to have. Thank you for re-reversing the "spam" and "delete" buttons.

Posted by: Larry King   |   October 18, 2007 12:04 PM    |   (2)

Your instructions concerning forwarding may be good for someone that understands "computer". However, as I have no idea what you are saying it is of little help to me. All I know is that my "forward" function no longer works and keeps flipping back and forth without any "forwarding" of the text happening.
Wandering in the dark with little or no knowledge of computer terms

Unless you are using a very old browser like IE5, then you probably just need to clear your browser cache and it will clear up for you. In IE you click Tools / Internet Options / Delete and choose the Temporary Internet Files to delete. In Firefox, there is a Clear Cache in the tools. If you do this and restart your browser and still have trouble, I would suspect that some security software running on your computer is blocking the feature inadvertently. Try temporarily turning those off to see.

Posted by: Spuds1   |   October 19, 2007 6:59 PM    |   (3)

When I receive info as an attachment like from my office secretary for some reason I click on open and then it dissapears after blipping once(reappears briefly)and then it's gone and I can't open it whereas as an in line attachment it's already there.

You have some sort of 3rd-party security software that is blocking this action.

Posted by: KARL VOLLSTEDT   |   October 22, 2007 7:39 AM    |   (4)

When I receive an e-mail with text and also the web site highlighted in blue (so all I need to do is "click" on the web site).......

How do I forward this to others in the "same" format I received the message (with text and web site highlited in blue)????

Thanks for your response.
Karl

That is handled by the email reader of the recipient, and they will almost certainly see it that way.

Posted by: E G Kirk   |   October 23, 2007 11:46 AM    |   (5)

I'm glad you're changing the Forward as I hate the way it is right now. When I want to forward an email, I just want to click on Forward and Send. I want it like I have it in Outlook. So, I eagerly await the change you're going to make!

Posted by: Judi Smith   |   October 25, 2007 3:23 AM    |   (6)

Is it possible to "clean up" an email that is Forwarded as an Attachment? I don't like to include the email addresses of people who have sent me an email when I forward that message to someone else. Frequently, the message was sent to me, as well as to several other prople. I don't like to "expose" all these other email addresses when I forward the message. When I forward inline text, I always remove prior sender and recepient addresses, but can I do that when I "Forward as an Attachment"?

That isn't possible when forwarding a message as an attachment, in Web Mail or in any other email software. To forward a message as an attachment means to attach the entire original message exactly as you recieved it, headers and all, and to include that file with your outgoing message. You need to use inline text to edit the content.

Posted by: Richard   |   October 31, 2007 1:11 PM    |   (7)

This is the third comment I've posted on this subject. None have appeared. Hiding them doesn't negate the existance of this problem.

webmail v5.51
OS: W2K
browser: Opera 9.23 is my default but to demonstrate the universality of this problem, I'm composing this using IE v6.0.2800.1106. I open both browsers with the cache empty.
This problem occurs on both my desktop and my laptop (similar OS / software) using both high-speed cable and (low-speed) dial-up. The laptop has a software firewall. The desktop (high-speed cable) relies on the firmware firewall in the router.

Previewing messages (viewing the Inbox), the four toolbar buttons (Delete, Spam, Move to..., Show Preview) appear to function properly. Viewing an individual message, none of the toolbar buttons (Reply, Reply All, Forward..., Print, Delete, Spam, Move to..., More Actions...) function at all. In other words, webmail v5.51 is essentially useless. I encounter no similar problems with other (e.g.: Yahoo!, gmail) providers.

Further, your failure to acknowledge this problem and provide support adds to the sense of futility.

I've been trying to get an answer for you (and I was out last week).

We've had a few reports like this and we have not been able to reproduce it, with any browser or operating system. It seems that the reports are all on Windows 2000 or Windows 98, and we've tested those with both IE 5.5 and IE6 and can't make this problem occur. We tried it at 800x600 resolution and 1024 resolution, and they all worked. We used the exact IE version you report.

I really suspect that there is some third-party security application interfering with the buttons, so try disabling whatever you have just for troubleshooting. If you discover anything please let me know.

Posted by: Mary P.   |   November 2, 2007 4:52 PM    |   (8)

THRILLED that the delete and spam buttons have been changed back!!! PLEASE keep them this way!! Thx!!

Posted by: Gray Tuthill   |   November 6, 2007 4:54 PM    |   (9)

When sending out Email I normally click on individuals in my address book to insert their address. I have noted that when doing this both their name and Email address are inserted. Thus if any of these people forward my Email then the Email addreses of those I originally sent messages to are also forwarded. Can this be changed so the only thing sent is the name of the person I am sending to and not the Email address. The way it is now is a great help to "spamers" as they get new addresses this way.

Use the Bcc line instead of the To line. That line is not sent to any recipient.

Posted by: David   |   February 29, 2012 8:57 PM    |   (10)

Recently I'm unable to forward emails. When I type in the name of the recipient of the forward it will bring up the address, but it won't bring the address of the the top line so I can forward the message. I can use the replly and it will send.

help