« Certificate problem with Norton 2008     |   Back to MAIN   |     When messages you want to receive are flagged as spam »

Take the Web Mail Survey - 03/24/08

Subject:       Take the Web Mail Survey
Date: March 24, 2008 1:48 PM

UPDATE: the survey is now closed. Thanks to all who participated. We'll publish a summary here soon.

unclesam.jpg

We want you!

Your opinion is needed! I want to make sure we spend our time working on the things that are most important to you. Please participate in the Web Mail survey to let us know what you think. It's only 10 questions, and you can complete it in less than five minutes.

Access the survey by clicking here.

When I have enough responses I'll publish a summary here on the blog.

Posted by: Glenda   |   March 26, 2008 5:29 PM    |   (1)

There is a SERIOUS problem with your Blocked Sender feature. Messages from people WHO ARE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK are being erroneously sent to my BLOCKED list! There is no clear way to UNBLOCK ADDRESSES that get on this list! I have read all your info about SUSPECT EMAIL and BLOCKED SENDER list and cannot find a way to get these addresses unblocked! Most programs allow you to RIGHT CLICK on the message in the blocked list that you want to UNBLOCK, but this doesn't seem to work this way. PLEASE HELP ME!

I think you probably mean the message is being incorrectly identified as spam. Addresses on your personal Blocked Sender list are deleted, and you control that with the list under your spamBlocker Settings / Blocked Sender List. You can remove addresses from that list. That is separate from spam filtering done by EarthLink.

If you are having messages falsely identified as spam (as opposed to blocked), then please do the following when the problem happens, and we'll try to get it cleared up:

1. In your spamBlocker settings, make sure the setting for "Delete Known spam immediately" is turned off. That allows you to save and view the messages that were incorrectly marked as spam. To get to the setting, click on spamBlocker / Settings.

2. When you get a message in that folder that should not be there, select the message (or view it) and click the button for "This Is Not Spam". That sends us a report.

3. Next, send a new message to
falsepositivereport@earthlink.net

Provide us with the sender address for the message you already reported when you used This Is Not Spam, and also the Subject line that was in the original message. This information will help us locate the report. Make sure you send it from the mailbox where the problem occurred.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and I appreciate your helping us get it resolved.

Posted by: RSLitman   |   April 9, 2008 6:48 PM    |   (2)

I'm always curious (some may say I'm actually quite nosy) about other people's opinions, so I look forward to your sharing a summary with us.

Posted by: lynn kalish   |   April 19, 2008 10:05 AM    |   (3)

Once you ask your computer to remember your password, there seems to be no way to change your mind. For instance, I found that someone working in my house was going into my email, so I decided to change my password but can't find a way to stop the commuter from remembering it!

Also, emails should automatically get saved in drafts. That way, you don't have to lose everything if you fall asleep or hit a wrong key when working on an
important letter.

Here's how you fix that. The saved password in your browser is associated with the email address typed in the other box, and they are saved together. So put your cursor in the email address box, and press the down arrow on your keyboard. That will show you all saved entries. Use the arrow key to move the selection to the one you want removed, and press Delete (Shift-Delete on Firefox). That removes the saved email address and password from your browser. Then, when you enter that address in the box again, the browser will ask you again if you want to save the associated password. Say no, and it will never ask again.

Posted by: Lee Higley   |   April 24, 2008 12:57 AM    |   (4)

I would like to access my email without haveing to enter my password every time

Posted by: G Bryan   |   April 24, 2008 11:40 AM    |   (5)

Seems like enough time has passed to post the survey results. Or did it reveal things you would rather not share?

GLB

Absolutely not. You are welcome to view the complete uncensored results at this link (for a limited time).

I'm in the process of preparing a report, and it takes quite a bit of time to go through the open-ended responses to questions 9,10, and 11 to summarize them and form conclusions. There are over 2500 respondents and about 4000 written responses to those open-ended questions (some useful and some not). I'll be publishing all my findings here soon, with statistical analysis, conclusions, and plans. Concurrently I'm preparing a similar report for our internal use and planning. For that one I also have to do some sliciing and dicing of the results by respondent categories, like whether the user said they are a dialup or high-speed user, their stated length of tenure, usage level, etc. I have the results in a database that allows such filtering, but it takes many hours. :-)

Posted by: Marjorie Brun   |   April 25, 2008 8:15 AM    |   (6)

It is frustating using my e-mail because I keep getting routed to the log in page. When I hit the arrow key to go back, I get an error code 503. The same thing happen when I hit the preview button. Please help me correct this problem.

I would suggest not trying to use keyboard navigation within Web Mail, as that will be very unpredictable and usually isn't going to work. Use the links on the page to navigate with your mouse. You may find this clears things up.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   April 25, 2008 12:59 PM    |   (7)

Thank you for making the raw survey available -- there are some really interesting ideas in there.

Some of the suggestions (requests) are for functionality that actually exists now, if the person only knew browser technology well enough. For example, one respondent requested the ability to keep a draft message "open" while checking elsewhere for information (presumably in other e-mails). But this is easily accomplished simply by opening a new browser window (or tab) and logging into Web Mail again in a different session. There doesn't seem to be any restriction against multiple logins (thankfully).

I thought it was very interesting that the two standout "very important" feature requests were "Auto-save while writing messages so the text isn't lost if I lose my connection" and "Never flag a message as spam if the sender is in my Address Book." Of course you know that second one is near and dear to my heart, but I understand the technical/architectural challenges involved. As to auto-save, that sounds like a great idea if it's not too difficult to pull off. I have only lost messages when composing right around the time of day (midnight eastern, 9:00 PM here in Los Angeles) when Earthlink often force-logouts open WebMail sessions. Depending on my browser's mood, sometimes I can retrieve the in-progress message using the "back" button; other times I just get a blank composing window.

I was surprised that "Save my default font settings for writing messages" did not score higher. The free-form comments also suggested setting up stationery, which I assume would include not only font settings but perhaps a background, etc. I'm not sure how involved this would be, but also know that there are so many incompatibilities in today's e-mail systems that introducing the stationery feature would potentially create many headaches, as messages would often not look as expected at the receiving end.

I notice that many people requested that after deleting an open message, the default behavior should return the user to the main inbox listing. I hadn't thought of that, but I agree with it.

Finally, I noticed that a number of people commented about wanting fixes to things that have already been fixed, such as (a) number of messages per screen, (b) default login page, and (c) default logoff page. All of these choices can be made in Preferences. I don't know the best answer to how to educate people about this. Yahoo rigged up a bunch of mouseover popups to tell people about new features, but I found those somewhat annoying. On the other hand, without them, I would not have learned about those features at all.

All in all, I'm very pleased that you have reached out in this way, and I hope that good things will come of this effort. I'm sure you have to do battle, now, with the programming people who raise all the obstacles to desired changes, and the bean counters who want to know what the ROI is for making the changes.

Good luck.

GLB

Posted by: ricardo   |   September 17, 2008 12:12 PM    |   (8)

Can I change my password w/o
bothering earthlink?

Click on My Account at the top of any EarthLink web page. Log in there and click on profiles and you can change your password for any mailbox on the account.