« Print wrapping issue fixed, other updates     |   Back to MAIN   |     Faster Web Mail for dial-up users »

Printing bug that began 1/12 is being fixed - 01/23/09

Subject:       Printing bug that began 1/12 is being fixed
Date: January 23, 2009 12:27 PM

A number of users have reported a problem that began on 1/12. Rather than post and answer those individually I'm addressing it here.

When printing some emails directly from Web Mail, some users are getting only the headers on page 1, then a blank page or two, then sometimes the rest of the body prints and sometimes not. This does not happen with all users or all printers, but we have had enough reports to know it is a problem.

This problem is being fixed and the fix will be released soon. I apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime, some users have suggested that they can print successfully by copy/pasting the message to a document and printing from there. I know that is very inconvenient and we will have it fixed soon.

UPDATE - this is now fixed and should be working fine.

Posted by: gloriawilliams   |   February 8, 2009 8:41 PM    |   (1)

Posted by: JudE   |   February 17, 2009 7:56 PM    |   (2)

My web mail says its 6.0.23 but it has no tool bar as you show below.

See this post. We're turning it on in phases this month and next month.

Posted by: Robert Meintzer   |   March 17, 2009 12:48 PM    |   (3)

When using Firefix 3.x, the header prints, but get hash for the message. If I use IE, it prints ok. So still need a fix to cover Firefox 3.x

The problem with FF 3.x printing gibberish is not unique to Web Mail and is a well known bug in FF 3. They blame it on older printer drivers, but you may find some solutions on the Mozilla support site. It isn't something we can fix.

Here is their forum on this issue.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   March 18, 2009 11:28 AM    |   (4)

Re.: Printing problem affecting older printers

see: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.feedback.firefox/browse_thread/thread/967b54ac9c53a631 suggesting using print preview, then printing from there, as a means to avoid the issue.

The folks at Mozilla report that they need to received detailed reports from users who are actually having this problem. Specifically they need to know the brand(s) and model number(s) of the printers that are experiencing the malfunction. In particular, you can contact the person who has taken the lead on this problem, via e-mail at cwwmozilla (at) gmail. It would also be good to mention your OS. (I've never seen this on my Macs.)

Also let them know if the above workaround works for you.

As a final suggestion, consider the possibility that a generic printer driver might solve the problem.

If you are using a PC, look at:
"Using the Microsoft Generic Text Only printer driver"

If you're using a Mac, look at:
Gutenprint was formerly called Gimp-Print.

I'm not familiar with Linux, but I'm sure if you did a Google search you could find a generic driver for Linux as well. For example I easily found:
by simply searching for "generic printer driver linux"

I hope this helps,

Brad

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   March 18, 2009 12:56 PM    |   (5)

Follow Up On "Old Printer Prints Gibberish Problem"

It appears the folks at Mozilla are making progress, even if it isn't fixed yet. Also it does appear to be exclusive to Firefox 3.0.x running on Win XP, and then only with specific older printer/driver combinations. Sometimes the problem goes away when the printer and driver are moved to a different PC, which has greatly frustrated their efforts to duplicate and then fix it!

If you haven't already, the first thing you should do is try to find a newer printer driver, which sometimes fixes the problem. Failing that, consider trying a generic printer driver. (Note that the generic driver that comes with Windows, described in my previous post, doesn't handle graphics.)

I don't want to suggest wasting money, but if you've been thinking about buying a new printer already anyway, now might be a good time...

In particular, if you're using any version of PDF Writer as if it were a printer/printer driver, this might really interest you:

The discovery here: it's definitely related to unicode, or the miscommunication thereof. They discovered that Vista implemented routines to intercept jumbled unicode strings and fix them on the fly, ostensibly to speed up all printing. As a result, no one is experiencing the bug from Vista!

This leads to another possible workaround, though I don't know how you would do it. Perhaps one could fiddle with the text encoding settings for Firefox on XP to fix the problem?... That might be available as a function of a file repair tool kit.

I hope this helps,

Brad

Posted by: npersaud   |   March 29, 2009 3:15 PM    |   (6)

Thank you for everything!

Posted by: Vikram   |   April 11, 2009 2:10 AM    |   (7)

Hello Everyone.

If you are using a Lexmark Printer then there is Patch which will fix this issue.
Especially if you are using Windows Vista OS.

Cheers

Posted by: Jessica Green   |   November 29, 2010 10:41 AM    |   (8)

THE PROBLEM IS NOT FIXED and
It is not limited to old printers. It happens on both of my Canon printers--one a Jan 2010 model, the other a new model purchased 1 1/2 mo ago. Although, the problem is random, my print issues are with emails that are sent TO me. The problem is also Foxfire-specific--there are not the same problems when I use Internet Explorer (a browser I dislike for many other reasons). It is very frustrating & I hope it is fixed soon!!!