« Printing bug that began 1/12 is being fixed     |   Back to MAIN   |     Update on the new Web Mail interface »

Faster Web Mail for dial-up users - 04/17/09

Subject:       Faster Web Mail for dial-up users
Date: April 17, 2009 11:38 AM

I had written previously that we were testing some lightweight advertising alternatives for dialup users, that wouldn't slow down the page loads. Yesterday we started running very light text+icon ads instead of banners when you access Web Mail over a dialup connection. The speed improvement is pretty dramatic. So if you are using Web Mail over dialup, it will be faster now.

Also, if you are a dialup user and you have not yet downloaded our free Accelerator, you should do so. It speeds up all web sites, and particularly EarthLink Web Mail. Email, attachments, and the Web Mail pages themselves all load quite a bit faster using the Accelerator.

In my tests over dialup with the new light ads combined with Accelerator, Web Mail pages load almost as fast as a broadband connection. Of course this will depend on the content of your mailbox as long message lists and large messages will slow things down. But you'll see a big improvement.

Download EarthLink Accelerator from the links on the Web Mail login page, or just click here.

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   April 24, 2009 11:20 AM    |   (1)

Hi, e-Mail Guy!

re.: EarthLink Accelerator

I use Verizon Wireless (VzW) Broadband Access (Ev-DO mode, revision A) which is way faster than dial-up, more like slightly slow DSL, and not truly broadband. Today for example, the built-in speedometer in the VZAccess Manager says it's peaking at 107 Kbps send and 516 Kbps rcv. The average speeds are substantially lower than the peaks. (When I used to have a landline, the BEST I ever got from a V92 modem was 28K (the copper was in such VERY POOR condition AND I was too many miles from the CO, so they could not offer me real DSL).

In case anyone is wondering, the day I figured out how to do the Internet through my cellular telephone was the day I called the phone company and impolitely explained to them what they could do with their wires! That was six years ago. Since that day I have only cell phones, and have never missed my landline. (VzW is getting geared up to switch to 4G mode, which will boost the available speed while simultaneously increasing the total capacity of the network.)

Does the Accelerator only work on dial-up? I'm wondering if I might benefit from it...

Thanks,

Brad

Yes, it only works when your computer is dialed in using a regular dialup network connection, and it detects that automatically.

Posted by: Beverly Tylus   |   May 2, 2009 12:52 PM    |   (2)

When will Accelerator be available for Mac Users???

We're working on that now, so soon.

Posted by: RSLitman   |   May 6, 2009 10:49 PM    |   (3)

Using Internet Explorer 7, I'm getting a browser-generated box that says:

This page contains both secure and insecure items.

Do you want to display the nonsecure items?

*** end of what's in the box ***

There is no option to check to not be shown this again, so I've gotten it every time I've gone to the Web Mail signon page tonight.

We're aware of this problem that began a couple days ago, and trying to get it fixed today.

Posted by: RSLitman   |   May 10, 2009 9:56 PM    |   (4)

Thanks for taking care of the problem I mentioned in Message 3. I'm not getting the pop-up any longer.

Posted by: Jud Watkins   |   August 24, 2009 2:30 PM    |   (5)

I am among those long-time Earthlink customers who get emails from others and find many of those emails can't be printed. That is, the header, "from to", etc. prints in legible English, but the body or text comes out as computer gibberish. Now, is there anything that can done about this? I can read the text on-screen, but get gibberish when I print, so I can't create a paper file and save these emails. Thanks.