« Faster Web Mail for dial-up users     |   Back to MAIN   |     Web Mail 6.0 released to all users today »

Update on the new Web Mail interface - 04/17/09

Subject:       Update on the new Web Mail interface
Date: April 17, 2009 11:59 AM

We've been gradually turning on the Web Mail 6.0 interface for a few thousand users at at time and soliciting feedback so that we can fix any problems before rolling it out 100%. We'll be doing one or two more test batches and then hopefully turn it on for everyone with in the next 3-4 weeks. I previously posted more information about the new interface changes here.

Here's a live screenshot:

reduced.gif

If you want to be in the next batch of users who get to try it first, let me know here and I'll put you on the list. During this period we have a link that allows you to opt back out if you have trouble.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 26-50 of 55   |   Next »   |   End »

Posted by: barry s   |   May 7, 2009 10:43 AM    |   (26)

re (21): thnx. nothing from e'link is getting blocked. i was getting the over quota warnings, then they stopped.

I have someone checking this but so far they can't reproduce it.

Posted by: Don   |   May 7, 2009 1:15 PM    |   (27)

Hey Email Guy,

Thanks for setting me up with the webmail 6.0 interface. I've been playing with it for a little while, and while it looks great, there is still an issue that I was hoping would be fixed in the 6.0 interface after seeing your screen shot above.

Here is an image of my inbox: http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6619/webmail.jpg

You can see that I have a lot of screen real estate that is not being used, and the windows for my inbox and for the email preview are tiny! I think it would be great if the inbox and preview windows at least stretched to the bottom of my screen, and if the users could drag the middle of those two windows up or down that would be even better. This is something I've always thought was lacking in earthlink webmail.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work!

That's quite a giant resolution display you have there! Yes, we intend to change the preview pane to use the available window space, but that change is not done yet. If you Hide preview, your list will use the full page, and then clicking a message will use the full page.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: David B   |   May 7, 2009 11:25 PM    |   (28)

Count me in...I'd like to test it out THANKS

Done.

Posted by: Tom Stansbury   |   May 10, 2009 5:31 PM    |   (29)

I would like to be added to the list to beta test the new web mail 6.0 interface.

Done.

Posted by: Alex   |   May 10, 2009 10:11 PM    |   (30)

I would like to use the new Webmail interface
Thanks

Done.

Posted by: Steve   |   May 10, 2009 10:12 PM    |   (31)

I would like to use the new Webmail interface
Thanks

Done.

Posted by: KT322   |   May 11, 2009 10:19 AM    |   (32)

I would like to test the new interface.

Done.

Posted by: Darren   |   May 12, 2009 3:15 AM    |   (33)

Couple of comments on the new Webmail layout...

Not yet sure I like it, what with Sign Out and the other stuff hung out at the top now instead of off to the sidebar where all that should be ;^), but I'm going to live with it a while and see if it grows on me! However, I am sorely missing the BCC slot that is no longer there -- please re-install it, it's vital for fwd'ing things without revealing everyone's email addresses!

As for Mr. Powell's disdain for the ads all over the place: If it bothers him that much, a switch to Firefox and its Adblocker add-on will solve the problem nicely, without causing Email Guy any grief with his advertisers!

There's a link beside the address lines to show the BCC box.

Posted by: Ashley   |   May 12, 2009 6:42 PM    |   (34)

Please add me to the new Webmail interface.
Thanks

Done.

Posted by: Sandra   |   May 13, 2009 6:23 PM    |   (35)

Please add me to new Webmail.

Done.

Posted by: Charlie Smiley   |   May 14, 2009 11:53 AM    |   (36)

Hey Email Guy,

Hook me up. Been waiting on the new interface. Hope all is well at the Link.
C

Hey Charlie. :-) Putting you on the list, you'll see it in a day or so.

Posted by: Cynthia   |   May 16, 2009 10:48 PM    |   (37)

I am not usually one to complain, but I am really, really tired of looking at all the yellow and white teeth that have been holding up my email lately. Please find something else to advertise, if you must advertise.

Posted by: Darren   |   May 16, 2009 11:09 PM    |   (38)

heya Email Guy --

Okay, I've determined that I officially hate The Big Black Block that tells me my message has been sent/deleted/reported... takes too long to get outta the way. D'ya think it can be exiled soon to the land of Nice Tries? '^)\

thanks! ====> Darren

It disappears immediately when you move your mouse or click any key. We are thinking about changing the color to something softer.

Posted by: Brendan   |   May 17, 2009 7:25 PM    |   (39)

I'd like to try it out too! :)

Done.

Posted by: C.L.   |   May 17, 2009 8:46 PM    |   (40)

yes i would like in on the beta
th
clp

Done.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 18, 2009 10:21 PM    |   (41)

Still haven't been changed over to the new interface -- did you change your mind about offering it to people requesting?

GLB

We did change your mailbox. What browser are you using?

Update - we found there may have been a glitch and re-added you. Try it now.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 19, 2009 1:23 PM    |   (42)

It wasn't working before under:

(a) IE 8 for Windows

(b) Firefox 3 for Windows

(c) Safari for Mac

(d) Firefox 3 for Mac

This morning, some time between 9:00 and 10:00 AM, it kicked over to the new interface.

Is there a specific reporting channel, or just the "feedback" link?

I agree with others that the massive black "message deleted" boxes are overkill. They're too big, and too black. How about something smaller and semi-transparent, and perhaps positioned somewhere at the top rather than dead center on the screen?

GLB

Use the Feedback link in Web Mail. It is monitored by multiple people every day, whereas this blog is checked and updated by me at inconsistent intervals. The difference is you won't get a response to Feedback, even though it is read and used by us.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 19, 2009 4:18 PM    |   (43)

Some initial feedback:

Inbox link misbehaving

Say I've used the message search function to find all messages from "Andy," and these are being displayed in a results list. Previously, if I now clicked "Inbox," it would take me back to the unfiltered complete list of all incoming messages. In the new interface, clicking "Inbox" merely redisplays the search results. Unlike before, the only way to get back to the full, unfiltered Inbox is to click 'Check Mail."

Search default

I have mentioned this before, but I strongly request that the message search page open with "Inbox" selected by default. (Or, if you wanted to get fancier, you could let people set their preferred default.) My message searches are 99% in the Inbox, and I suspect other users are the same. It's an annoying extra step to keep having to select "Inbox" as the search domain each time.

Ugly black message box (for sent, deleted, etc. messages)

Others have commented on this. It's too big, it's too black, and it's too opaque. If you must use an animation, how about making it a lighter color, smaller, semi-transparent, and located other than the center of the screen? This thing is jarring.

Also, on my browser (Firefox 3/Windows) it can often take quite some time to clear. Merely moving the mouse is often not enough. Can you put an actual close "X" in the corner?

Message composition

It appears that you can now switch from plain text to rich text without losing the message content. That is helpful.

I really wish there was a way to insert images within the message. Inserting tables would also be nice.

GLB

We are adding the feature to insert images inline.

We are modifying the status message box.

We know about the glitches in the search feature, and will address them at some point.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 20, 2009 2:27 AM    |   (44)

Me again.

The new interface logs me off after a couple of hours, even though I have 24 hours selected in the Preferences.

GLB

Interesting. Can you please do a test and click the link on the right to Use the Previous Web Mail, and try a few sessions to see if the problem goes away? You will have a link under the quota bar to come back to the new one whenever you want.

Posted by: G Bryan   |   May 20, 2009 10:31 AM    |   (45)

More Webmail feedback:

My wife, whose vision is somewhat impaired from diabetes, says she has trouble reading the legends on the buttons above the message listing ("Check mail" "Write" "Search Mail" etc.) because there is not enough contrast between the white lettering and the bluish background.

GLB

Posted by: Bradley Warner Tompkins   |   May 21, 2009 12:25 PM    |   (46)

Hello, E-Mail Guy,

I'm generally good with math, but sometimes decimal points cause me grief...

I said "When it reaches about 900 MB I clean my mailbox out (down to about 250 MB)" so you logically concluded I was already on the Gigamail trial, thus couldn't join the other fun activity. What I *meant* to say was "90 MB" and "20 MB".

To reassure you that I am NOT on the Gigabyte Mailbox trial, I just grabbed the banner from my mailabox: "81% of 100 MB used." I hope that helps.

By they way, has anybody pushed the Emergency Escape Button yet? ;p

Thanks,

Brad

Sure, a small portion of our randomly-selected testers didn't want to bother with change and opted out without really trying the new one. A few users had problems that we have worked on fixing, and a few prefer the legacy interface. When we go to full rollout, we'll keep the opt-out link exposed for a limited time, and those users will be able to stay on the old one indefinitely if they like. We have enough of a sample now to know that number won't be large, and we'll keep a couple servers up with the legacy interface.

Posted by: Byron   |   May 21, 2009 6:47 PM    |   (47)

Maybe my previous request to be added to the beta was too subtle so

Please add me to the beta testers.

Byron

Done.

Posted by: Will C   |   May 27, 2009 5:07 PM    |   (48)

Hello Email Guy,
Could you update the blog with an estimated roll-out date of the new version since we are past the previous estimate? And how is the testing going?
Thanks!
will

Testing is going great, and we've identified and fixed some problems. We've got around 20K people on the new one now, and I hope to roll it out to everyone during June. We still have a little work to do getting our non-EarthLink brands working right on the new interface. Things never go on schedule with software. :-)

Posted by: Peter Hayward   |   June 2, 2009 7:01 AM    |   (49)

Will the new version allow the ( Plain | Color and Graphics ) option to be used in Chrome?

For reference see my December/January complaint on this problem.

Yes it works with Chrome.

Posted by: Sally Schott   |   June 3, 2009 5:11 PM    |   (50)

I have used Earthlink webmail for six years. The "interactive ad banners" at the top of the page now, that cannot be clicked off, are infuriating. They've taken me from loving to hating Earthlink webmail in a single flash.

Those ads are not allowed, and it took us a few days to track down what agency was letting them in the rotation. They are gone now.

« Previous   |   Showing Comments 26-50 of 55   |   Next »   |   End »