« Web Mail outage     |   Back to MAIN   |     Couple of issues that will be fixed shortly »

Web Mail 6.1.7 released today - 09/30/09

Subject:       Web Mail 6.1.7 released today
Date: September 30, 2009 8:50 AM

UPDATE: The changes listed below were put back into production today.

This release fixes a number of bugs reported by users, and also adds a few enhancements. Here's a partial list.

Enhancements

• Moved the links (now buttons) for whitelist sync and domain whitelist editing so users with spamBlocker on High can find them more easily.
  • Increased the message list length when Preview is enabled.
  • Increased the Preview pane size to use the full page.
  • Added a new Preference for the default compose mode (rich or plain). In the next release we'll also be adding the ability to save your preferred font style between sessions.
  • Improved the rich text compose toolbar with more selections for fonts and styles, and added a new emoticon button.
  • Put back a 1-px line between the message listings for readability.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed some problems using rich text compose on certain browsers including Firefox 2 and Safari.
  • Fixed the bug that would sometimes display random status code error messages.
  • Fixed the default style displayed in plain text compose to be Courier New 11, which matches the font displayed when viewing plain text messages.
  • Fixed some problems with Address Book groups, including adding the selector for assigning existing contacts to groups.
  • Fixed a problem that prevented some users from saving drafts.

Please let us know if anything isn't working right.

Posted by: brightboy   |   August 24, 2009 11:22 AM    |   (1)

Thanks for finally fixing the problem with plain text message composition not
displaying in courier new (which i reported at the end of June)

I would like to comment that the new 1px horizontal line you've added between messages
is VERY visually overwhelming/too busy. In Firefox 3.51 on the Mac, the line is VERY bold.
In IE7 on XP, the line is more grayish and more sub-dued (only less annoying). I vote for
removing it or making it a savable option.

I still wish you would make the "Search Message" feature default to the INBOX (which I'm
sure the majority of people statistically search the most)

We're unable to reproduce the bolder lines on any version of Firefox. It appears as a 1px light grey line on all browsers. Check to see if you have set your browser to modify the page style.

Posted by: susan   |   August 24, 2009 2:43 PM    |   (2)

Don't like 6.1.2 at all!

The fonts I receive messages in and the default plain text font for response don't match anymore. Confusing.

Font size changes when writing messages with rich text are not consistent -- for example, before typing anything I would select a font size of 14 (sending to vision-impaired friend) and some of my message would be in 14 point but then it would change font size back to a smaller size later in the message, I would have to manually select all that I had typed and hit "14" again. (Also took me a while to find the font size icon...I liked it better in the just-prior release of 6).

When writing a message the first attempt to send it didn't work (got some kind of "can't open" error, sorry did not write error message down): I hit "save as draft" and got the confirmation that message had been saved to drafts....but then I went and looked in drafts and it is not there. GRRR!

Also, it has "felt" slower all day.

I dislike 6.1.2 enough that I picked the "use previous webmail" option. Hoped I'd get the earlier release of 6, but will settle for the older version it gave me....would rather have LESS functionality than BUSTED functionality.

Posted by: V. Heffernan   |   September 13, 2009 2:43 AM    |   (3)

I've been having problems with attachments sent with a message. The problem is noticed when someone sends me a message and includes pictures in an attachment. The paperclip (sign that an attachment exists) shows on the margin of the message in the group listings; but when the message is opened, there is no indication of an attachment to be found. I have tricked it with something that works (at least for now) and that is to forward the message (without actually sending the forward) and there, magically, is the message along with attachments, as would be normal. It's very strange and a bit frustrating. This is just happening lately since all the web changes. I have a Mac and use Safari 4.0.3, if that helps. Hope it involves an easy fix. Thanks, btw, for all the work and the great changes with the new web mail.

I believe this is now fixed with the latest release. Let me know if you see it again.

Posted by: Niebelungfan   |   September 27, 2009 5:18 PM    |   (4)

Dear Email Guy:
As with many other of your subscribers, I have been enjoying the features, style and appearance of the new interface for the past couple of months.
Let me add my vote to the suggestion of ‘brightboy’ and several others in the past few years to make INBOX the default for “Search Message?. Thanks.

Posted by: brightboy   |   September 30, 2009 10:36 AM    |   (5)

Now that 6.1.7 has been released today, I am going to raise my concern yet again
about the new 1px lines that is now been inserted between each message list
(for alleged readability)

These new 1px lines are very visually OVERWHELMING because of the stark contrast
that exist with the WHITE background color and are a classic case of bad user interface
design.

Here are my suggestions on how to rectify the situation:

(1) Make the background color in the listing space a shade of gray that is
much closer to the color of the 1px line such that contrast is greatly diminished
between the two. This is what GMAIL does and I don't find the lines
objectionable at all.

(2) Make the background color a REALLY light shade of gray and then make
the 1px line white. This provides a visual experience that is VERY subtle on
the eyes YET still accomplishes the goal. There is a good example of this
at the following guitar forum:

(3) Remove them completely or make them an option in the PREFERENCES.

I really hope you take these suggestions seriously.

Posted by: karen   |   September 30, 2009 10:50 AM    |   (6)

With this week's with the changes that were pushed, I am now having problem receiving emails from people on my white list in my address book. Contacts that I have been emailing with daily for years are all now receiving Spamblocker requests to be added to my contact list. I have double checked and these people are all already on my contact list. Why is this happening and can you please diagnose and fix this problem ASAP. I can no longer use my inbox to read my mail, they are all going to my Suspect email folder. Thanks.

Posted by: Nicholas Sabalos, Jr.   |   October 1, 2009 4:15 PM    |   (7)

Getting an error each and every time I try to send a message with this new version! The error says something to the effect of "Internal Server Error." There is no indication whether the message was actually sent or not...so I have to re-send. I guess we've broken what wasn't broke before!

Posted by: Nicholas Sabalos, Jr.   |   October 1, 2009 7:24 PM    |   (8)

To further refine my earlier post (which hasn't posted yet after several hours!).....it appears there is a bug when trying to Reply to an email. Upon sending the Reply, an error message appears indicating an "Internal Server Error" and to Sign back In to WebMail. It's happened several times now in the past few hours.

Although these posts appear to be heavily censored, this REALLY IS a legitimate attempt to get a problem in WebMail 6.1.7 fixed. Maybe someone there at EarthLink can at least show the courtesy of acknowledging our concerns once in a while. You sure take our money easily enough!

Posted by: Barry   |   October 3, 2009 1:28 AM    |   (9)

Still can't create a clickable hyperlink using HTML in Firefox. (Works fine in IE8, but that's not my preferred browser.)

Posted by: Sylvia Kennett   |   October 4, 2009 7:09 PM    |   (10)

The last several days I have experienced problems with sending e-mails. Sometimes they are sent twice, and sometimes I receive an error message indicating the message was not sent, but saved in my "drafts". Also, on a number of occasions, there is an error message telling me that my e-mail could not be sent, when in fact it was sent. The other problem with my recent e-mails is that it is reported that I have no unread e-mails when I have several in my inbox.

Please help!!

Thank you.

Posted by: Bohdan Kostyshyn   |   October 5, 2009 9:45 AM    |   (11)

I have problems sending e-mail. After I'check the 'to' box in my address book, I am prompted to check 'OK'. There is no 'OK' box shown and I am forced to type in the address. Previously, there was a box that said, 'Insert all addresses checked. And when clicked, the addresses associated with the checked boxes were inserted into the send to box on the e-mail to be sent. Tell me, please, where in %#@* is the OK box shown on the address list? I tried hitting the enter key and nada! Help, Please!
Bohdan Kostyshyn

The OK button is at the bottom of that popup window. You may have some kind of window size issue concealing it. Try enlarging that window to see the button at the bottom, or setting your browser text size to the default so that it fits in the window.

Posted by: mary busch   |   October 18, 2009 11:31 AM    |   (12)

About 2 weeks ago my spell check disappeared. Can you tell me how to restore this feature. This has happened several times. The last time I had it was in the bar above my e-mails whicn was nice.

Posted by: John   |   November 5, 2009 11:40 AM    |   (13)

Hey email Guy,

Is it possible in a future enhancement to add the spam button to the messages themselves - that would allow us when we are reading messages to report an individual message as spam (I use the preview pane) while reading it instead of going above to the message list, selecting the box, and then clicking "spam."

Thanks!

Posted by: Margarita Rodriguez   |   November 20, 2009 9:25 AM    |   (14)

This is a great idea or better, genios person ,who invent this kind of things.

Posted by: Ron Klein   |   December 2, 2009 6:44 PM    |   (15)

I am suddenly having a problem forwarding emails that contain attachments. When composing the forward, it looks like the attachment is attached. But, the note goes without the attachment.

I'm getting really tired of having to send forwards multiple times hoping the attachment actually gets through.

I am running XP Home with Firefox 3.0.15.

PLEASE FIX RIGHT AWAY!!

Thank you.

Posted by: Ron Klein   |   December 2, 2009 6:47 PM    |   (16)

I am suddenly having problems forwarding emails with large attachments. For example, a message that shows as 6 MB in size, will not forward as webmail claims it exceeds the 10 MB limit!!!

HUH?

Is 6 + 1 now > 10?

Why is this happening?

Posted by: Stuart Lawrence   |   December 5, 2009 2:47 PM    |   (17)

A huge enhancement for future releases would be to display messages within the main window rather than in a frame with its own vertical scrollbar. It is annoying to have to manipulate two scrollbars next to each other to view the whole message. The frameless Gmail interface is far superior on this point.

Posted by: Darren   |   January 5, 2010 3:36 PM    |   (18)

heya Email Guy --

For about the past month or so, I've been seeing a vexing issue with some messages, and can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.

When I hit Reply, sometimes the format in the reply pane changes arbitrarily to Plain Text, and I have to manually select Rich Text in order to stay in that format. Can't find any rhyme or reason why Webmail decides to do this. At first it was just a minor PITA, but it's getting reeeeally old now. (And yes, I do have Rich Text selected in Preferences!).

As Bob the Builder used to be asked, "Can You Fix It?"

Thanks ====> Darren

The Preference is for new messages you create. When you do a reply, the format of the original message is used for quoting it unless you change it. So the cases you are seeing are with a plain text message that was sent to you.

Posted by: Peter Brooks   |   January 9, 2010 9:13 PM    |   (19)

I'm still encountering an odd issue that I reported some time ago. It doesn't happen every time, just once in a while, unpredictably.

If I edit a Draft email and work on it for a while (sometimes only 30 seconds, sometimes several minutes) when I hit Send I get an error message that Webmail can't find my email. I then get put back into editing mode.

The only solution is to keep a copy of the text I edited and then cancel the email from within Draft, at which point I usually get another Webmail message to the effect that there's been a serious error and I should go back to the Webmail login page, even though I'm still logged in and everything else seems to work OK.

When I check the Sent folder there's definitely no entry there so the email really didn't get sent.

So I go back into Draft, re-open my original draft email, replace the contents with the saved copy of text, adjust the subject/To:, etc., as necessary and hit Send again, at which point it usually works.

Any chance of this being fixed any time soon? I think I have screen shots from an earlier occurrence if you need them (I didn't bother this last time).