« More Email Space available now     |   Back to MAIN   |     Web Mail 6.3.9 released June 28 »

Max Message Size Increased - 05/30/12

Subject:       Max Message Size Increased
Date: May 30, 2012 11:07 AM

Today we changed the maximum allowed email message size from 10MB to 20MB, for both incoming and outgoing messages.

In Web Mail you'll see the limit labeled on the Write Message view.

Message Size

So now you can both send and receive files up to 20MB with an email message. Note that this is the combined size for all files you attach to the same email message.

This is a good time to explain why sometimes the size of an email message is not exactly what it seems and can be confusing. Our limit of 20MB is a true limit meaning you can actually attach a file to your message that is right at 20MB (allowing a few extra bytes for the message body) and send it. And you can receive that same file. But when you look at the received message in Web Mail (or your Sent copy) you may notice in the Size column that the message is now about 27MB. That's because all files attached to any email must go through something called MIME encoding for transport. That makes the files bigger, usually about 35% bigger. And it's stored in your mailbox in the encoded form until you retrieve the file and save it to your computer, at which point your email program (or Web Mail) decodes it for you and restores the original size.

So we actually allow you to receive messages that are 28MB after encoding, because a 20MB message will get about that big when sent. And you can send out a 20MB file either from Web Mail or from your favorite email program, and we allow for the extra size from encoding on the back end.

Posted by: Suzanne G   |   June 9, 2012 10:30 AM    |   (1)

Thanks for increasing the limit! I sometimes need to use Web Mail to send and receive business-related files, so this is good news indeed. Thanks also for explaining the mysterious growth of messages during the journey from sender to receiver.

Posted by: Ms. Rosner   |   June 9, 2012 8:34 PM    |   (2)

I am not happy with the login procedure of late. While my email address shows immediately, despite the fact that I have always checked the box for "remember by login information on this computer," I frequently have to RETYPE the darned password. This has only been occurring in the past few months; prior to now, for many years, the password filled in automatically. Could this be fixed - immediately?

The password has never been saved in Web Mail, that is a feature handled by your browser.

See this post for more information.

Posted by: Monty Furlong   |   June 11, 2012 11:07 AM    |   (3)

How do I get my outgoing mail to single space and how do I set the tabs? Right now, if I click "tab", it goes to the bottom of the page. I get dbl space only when I click on "show graphics, etc." Thanks

Posted by: Rod Bean   |   August 1, 2012 1:04 PM    |   (4)

I can't understand why recently, some attachments are absent from emails I receive. They were both .pdf files sent by known senders. I had them try again but the result was still the same. The email comes but there is no attachment. Further, the email size indicates there IS an attachment (6MB). But it's not there.

In each case, I had them send me a link to the document when the email attachment process didn't work. Doing it that way, I was able to get the file and download it to my computer. One was 17MB so it should have been able to receive it as an email attachment.

This has only happened with two senders and only within the last couple of weeks. Those senders have always been able to send me other large attachments that I have received without problems.

I am a Mac user (OS10.6.8) and use the latest Firefox browser using Earthlink Webmail for my email program. How can I solve this problem?

Posted by: Mitchell   |   September 5, 2012 1:59 PM    |   (5)

While the extra attachment size is nice when will the 100 meg size limit for the mailbox be raised? I know that more can be purchased but there are lots of free services that give you gigs of storage.